LFS

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare created the topic: LFS

So, i'm at the LFS cruising around and the guy there knows i'm an Oscar lover so grabs me and says wait till you see what we just got in. Takes me over to a tank (you know, general 30 gallon area) and shows me 4 HUGE full grown Oscars, 3 albino and 1 that i've never seen before. He was mostly black with a little bit of blue on him, he was a lot smaller than the other 3 but still beautiful. Anyways, he said they had outgrown someone's tank and they had brought them in because they couldn't care for them anymore (surprise). My daughter got super excited so he offered to feed them, brought out a huge shrimp like thing (you probably know what it was, I don't). Anyways, this thing has pinchers and I fought all the way in. One of the albinos grabbed it up, and all we see is one lone claw sticking out of it's mouth.

Now, i'm not expert. At all. And this might be fine to feed them, but it FREAKED ME OUT. I would be so upset if I put one of those in my tank and it hurt Marhsall. I even asked him, can it possible bite him as he swallows it? He just shrugged his shoulder at me and said well that's nature that's what he'd eat if he was home. He might be right. But owe. I made the decision right then, that when Marshall is full grown he won't be eating anything with pinchers.

We went back to the store yesterday, and 2 of the 4 Oscars were gone. He said they go fast. I can only hope they went to a better home. One of the ones that was left looked to me like it had HITH but it could have been a scare from a past infection. My LFS is usually pretty good about not selling unhealthy fish, and frequently will put an entire tank out of commission if they feel it's sick or a fish has passed. Here's hoping.

Anyways, just wanted to share! Was so crazy to me to watch happen!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: LFS

Yes, big Oscars will eat ANYTHING they can fit in their mouths......but feeding live aquatic food of any sort can make your fish deathly sick. NEVER recommended.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:LFS

It sounds like crayfish that he was feeding them which for some reason, despite the shell, is an oscar favourite. But as Darth said.. not a good idea due to the risk of disease.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using Tapatalk 2

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:LFS

should have took a camera for some pictures ...

Haku, I knew your were good.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:LFS

Big Oscars normally end up at the fish store because people haven't done their research before buying them.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds