Local fish groups

• Thank you received: 40

ehh created the topic: Local fish groups

So someone I know started a Facebook page for fish keepers in the city I live in. He made me an admin because I happen to be the most knowledgable out everyone in the group (thanks to most of you guys! I also read a lot haha). There is about 20-30(probably less) really active members. People that post a lot of pictures, buy a lot of fish, blah blah blah. We'll I've noticed an annoying trend: everyone wants to breed everything! And they all want to breed the same things. And I'm left wondering "what are you guys gonna do with hundreds of fry when you're the only people locally buying a lot of fish?" And they want to start breeding the fish when the prospective parents are not even 4" and in tanks smaller than 55 gallons. These are big cichlids they're breeding. Big common cichlids. Then, when they can't get something to breed within about 30 days, they get over it and take the fish back to the lfs and the cycle repeats. Is this common? I'm pretty annoyed by it. Ok, rant over.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Local fish groups

I feel your pain an annoyance!

This issues with my groups is that most only have a single marine tank (I like multiple fw). Corals, corals, corals!

Then the breeding is and after thought. Guppies for sale/free! Africans for sale! Convicts for sale! Must buy 8!

And no one is passionate about the fish they keep. Makes me feel like a freak. If I get a fish, I decorate the tank for the fish, and I plan for the fish to live in the tank. But people in those groups want to turn the fish back in when they get bored, then buy a new fish...instead of buying a new tank for a new fish. I'm not perfect, I've had to turn a fish in years ago, but never because I didn't want it anymore.
Ok my rant is over!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Local fish groups

Lots of people get into the fish hobby thinking they can make a buck breeding fish. Then they find out that it's not that easy or simple, & grow bored.

There are also a great deal of people who think pets of ANY kind are disposable. These numbnuts are why there are so many unwanted animals in shelters. I firmly believe there is a special place in hell for these creeps. :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

ehh replied the topic: Local fish groups

thats another thing purplecandle, they trade fish all the time, nonstop. i dont get how they dont build any kind of connection with what they keep. some of these guys have owned at least 20 species in a month and dont own a single one of those fish anymore.

i try to tell a lot of these people that breeding this or that isnt that easy. and a few of these guys have lost females because theyre hard headed about it.

im glad you guys didnt tell me i was being crazy. just give you more of a taste of the people on there, the "main" guy is now attempting to breed angles and dovii in ten gallons tanks.

so many times i wanna leave the group but there a few people on there arent in it for the money and come to me often for help so i stick around.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

"the "main" guy is now attempting to breed angles and dovii in ten gallons tanks."

The "main guy" is an idiot. :evil: You are the Admin.....correct him & inform him why he's wrong for attempting this w/ facts & figures.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

I usually try to put him in his place. He happens to be the guy that started the group.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

I gathered that from the "main guy" thing.......but stupid is as stupid does.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Local fish groups

I know exactly where you're coming from. I can never understand why people want to start breeding Oscars when they obviously do not have any kind of get out plan. And when I've told people in the past that the best thing they can do is just enjoy watching the Oscars going through their breeding process, but just leave the Fry To their fate, they get all upset. Then when I ask them what they are going to do with 500 babies? They seem to think that the local fish store will take them off their hands, I don't think so

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Haha forest gump. The terrible breeding projects are just the tip of his "bad decisions iceberg".

I don't know how none of these guys see the problem with them all breeding the same fish.

Ahhh coming here is like a breath of fresh air.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Send him to me................I shall deal w/ him...........personally. :evil:

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.179 seconds