Axolotl??

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Axolotl??

Anyone familiar with these guys? A friend of mine is moving a few states away and doesn't want to move it with her. I'm searching the internet for information on them but I want to find credible information. So any links or info on these you guys can provide would be awesome. Thanks!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Axolotl??

Get it! I've always wanted one of those!

I know they require really clean water.

I've read 20 gallon tanks, but I just don't believe that. If I had one I would go a lot bigger.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Axolotl??

Yeah that's why I'm here asking about it. Her heart is in a good place when it comes to fish and aquatic creatures but her knowledge is limited. This one is in a 10gal and the water looked pretty dirty last time I saw it. I'm already looking up some cheap 20 gals. Do you know anything about temp require ments? According to this site... www.axolotl.org/housing.htm they don't need to be warmer than 68, which means I can put in in my basement.

I really hate that 10 gallon set up! All you need is a baffle to disperse water! What an ugly tank!

At least go with a 20 though, get it out of the ten...it will be easier to maintain. Maybe a 20 long?

Here's how to make a baffle if you need it. Hopefully someone here will know more about them.

www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle wrote: Here's how to make a baffle if you need it. Hopefully someone here will know more about them.

www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139

Haha that's exactly what I do with my betta tanks. But yeah, one of a near by pet store often runs a $1 per gallon sale so I plan on getting a 20 long or a 30. But thanks for all your input! Like you said I hope a few more people will chime in.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Axolotl??

we have been wanting Axolotls for a long time and allmost started with them.
But then some lil'fish came along and changed the plan.... :blush: .
Just some things to keep in mind:
-Allthough they don't move muchThey need room, but a big tank can hold several of them.
-Use massive overfiltration, a couple of canisters woldt be great. They mess up the place.
-They can eat like crazy, and earthworms are a favorite.

they are so cool, and because they miss an enzyme in their body, they will stay in their "Larval-stage"all their life. Test have shown that if the missing enzyme is given, the Axo will turn into a fullgrown watersalamander....but this shortens their lifespan drasticly.
But in the Larval stage...if heir gills or legs or tail gets bitten off ,which happens quite often (Yes, they can be a bit aggressive) it appendages will grow back in no time.
Incredible creatures, but expect just as much filtration and wc as with an oscar.
But breeding is pretty easy.

Any kind you like best? Wild, albino, brown?

• Thank you received: 40

face mcshooty replied the topic: Axolotl??

you can't get wild caught ones anymore because there pretty much extinct in the wild

Don't dwell on what went wrong. Instead focus on what to do next

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

face mcshooty wrote: ou can't get wild caught ones anymore because that pretty much extinct in the wild

That's what I thought.

Noddy- thanks for the info! I like the albino and I think that's what my friend has but I don't remember for sure. But alas, another friend of mine is going to take it. At first I had told the owner probably not as I have 6 tanks already but once I got home everyone was on board, but she asked my friend and now my friend really wants it. Which is fine, we'll have shared custody lol. Plus she takes really good care of the 6+ tanks she has so this little guy will be in great hands. I'll try and post some pictures of it when I can.

I'm am still looking for any and all information on them, my friend who is adopting it looks to me for all of her fish/critter advice.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Axolotl??

face mcshooty wrote: you can't get wild caught ones anymore because there pretty much extinct in the wild

A Re-entering program maybe, for the Axolotls maybe...?

:blink:
At 1 minute in the vid..."the Dodo has gone extict by hunting of Dutch sailors in the 16th century." :blush: :blush: :blush:
sorry about that.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.109 seconds