Axolotl??

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Axolotl??

I used to have one, awesome pet!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Axolotl??

Well as it turns out I'm not getting her but a.coworker is. which is great because i have been trying to downsize the number of tanks i have. this coworker is putting her in a 30gal by her self so thats already a big improvement from the 10 gal she was kept in.but ill still be asking questions as my coworker hasn't had one before either. so someone mentioned that they love earthworms. what is some other stuff we can feed her? All she has ever been fed are brine shrimp.

again thanks for all of the help! And sorry for the typos I'm on my cell phone at the moment .

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Axolotl??

Throw some feeder guppies in the tank.....as long as the water is filtered, they will do well & give the salamander a food source.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Alright, after having her for a few days my coworker decided I needed "Little Lottle" . She was concerned about the water temp being to high at her house and I could have Little Lottle live in the basement. So today we went and got her and now she is set up in my basement.

I am hoping you guys can continue feeding me your opinions and incite on caring for this cool little axolotl. She (they kept calling her a she but is there a way to tell?) Is in a 30gallon tank with two reptile filters, similar to these ones , and so the water in the tank is pretty low. I currently need to add at least 5 more gallons to it. How can I do this, can I just take a jug and dump the water directly in? Can I use the water conditioner I use for my fish tanks? Do I need water conditioner? What is the ideal temp Im aiming for?

I'm going to look around some other sites for info on these critters, but you guys are always so knowledgeable i wanted your thoughts as well.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Also, here is what Im currently doing as well as some future plans, so let me know if anything is wrong here...
  • Feeding it, frozen bloodworms, frozen brineshrimp, and live earthworms. This is daily, but not everything every day, its being rotated. and as someone mentioned on here already her favorite is the earthworms lol.
  • Planning on replacing both reptile filters with 2 hob filters that I have laying around and filling her tank to the top.
  • I also plan to have no light on the tank. Im afraid it'll warm the water up, and they like dim lighting anyway right?

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Re:Axolotl??

Alright here are some pics,

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Axolotl??

Good looking little lady!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Re:Axolotl??

Thanks! I actually renamed her Medusa, she's a pretty cool little critter.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Axolotl??

congratz on Medusa, lovely looking axo.
About the worms, i set up a 70 liter plastic canister, after looking at some vids on youtube, and it works nice.
I feed them all leftover veggies mixed with some fishfood, and i have a constant supply for my Fire eel!

Good luck!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nyx

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Thanks Noddy! I'm really enjoying her. I actually just filled the tank up all the way and put sand on the bottom for her and she seems to love all the space.

As for the worms it's funny you mentioned that. I was just researching worm farming and contacted a guy I know who owns a bait store to see if I can get a bulk order of some red worms so hopefully they will breed and I'll have a pretty steady supply of worms.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds