How many Danios?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:How many Danios?

Depends on how long it takes for the oscar to figure out to hunt the GDs at night while they are sleeping.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: How many Danios?

"Once this tank is cycled can I put these giant danios with my oscar for a bit?"

Sure.....until he eats them.....although, I had some in w/ Darth Maul (Red Oscar), he caught a couple, but he kinda gave up when he couldn't catch the REAL fast ones!!! :lol:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:How many Danios?

I just like them and I can't keep them with the angels, but hate to get rid of them. I just wasn't sure if they are too busy for an Oscar. He's only about 5 inches now, so I'd be ok if they started disappearing at some point I guess. :-/

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

JBare replied the topic: Re:Re: How many Danios?

Darth Nandopsis wrote: "Once this tank is cycled can I put these giant danios with my oscar for a bit?"

Sure.....until he eats them.....although, I had some in w/ Darth Maul (Red Oscar), he caught a couple, but he kinda gave up when he couldn't catch the REAL fast ones!!! :lol:

Funny. I posted awhile ago. I have ONE lone lamp eye tetra in with him now who's too fast for him. He keeps trying though! Hasn't given up yet lol

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: How many Danios?

Well, here's the difference between omnivorous cichlids & picsivorous/predatory cichlids.....I removed the GD's from the 75GL & put them in w/ my Jag when I 1st got my 125GL.....Darth Sidious was a LOT smaller than he is now, so I figured they would be OK in a much larger tank, as they really were F-A-S-T..
boy, was I wrong......all 8 of them were gone in about a week or so, he got one right away, & the rest he got when the lights went out!!! And now, he's eyeing up my TF barbs w/ bad intent....kinda cool, actually, he get real dark & his irises in his eyes go blood red, & he sorta comes in at them sideways, very slowly, & then BLAMMO, you can actually hear the SMACK as he tries to get them.....so far no luck, & I have been feeding the TF barbs heavily on cichlid pellets & doing a LOT of WC's to try & induce growth so they can't fit in his maw.....but Sidious does have a HUGE mouth, so we'll see what happens. :whistle: I may try to take a video of this, as it definitely is predatory behavior.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Yes! I always know when he's acting a fool because I can hear that smack from the other room. I should try to get a video too

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

We had an issue with our floor and had to empty the new 46 gallon, I had nowhere to put my cycling danios so they went in with Marshall. All 8 of them. This morning I had 4. I have to say, I am literally shocked. He's only 5 inches and they were about...closer to 2 then 1 1/2. Didn't think they were small enough for him to eat. I checked everywhere and no one jumped out, moved everything and they are nowhere. But Marshall looms pregnant. What a grump.

• JBare
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

*looks

• Thank you received: 158

Goranothos replied the topic: How many Danios?

My O, Fred, has killed several silver dollars that were impossible for him to swallow. The four that are left in the tank are bigger around than a real U.S. silver dollar coin, and he ignores them.

“Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face.” -Mike Tyson

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:How many Danios?

You might try checking inside your HOB if you have one running on the tank. I had 6 of them in with my O and thought one had got eaten only to find it swimming around in the two inch intake section. Though with four gone he probably ate some/most of them.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds