What a night :(

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: What a night :(

I decided might aswell do a WC as my levels had dropped anyhow in this hot weather. So I pull out the hose, and when I empty water I water my front garden with it. Keeps my hydrangea happy. Well had took water out of planted tank and done a little bit out of the oscar tank when I hear hello...hello and a knock at the door. I shout hi come in but cant go as holding hose. This poor lady arrives and says hi Im from over the road and you know Rich. He is my friend over the road who also has fish, mollies mainly. ANYWAY she says he tells me your good with fish and Im looking after his tank as he is a way... Im thinking OH NO. His tank is a community tank lovely but overstocked. He keeps it pristine and perfect. She says she doesnt know what to do she went in house, could smell the badness looked at tank and nearly fainted.

I follow her over and its so clouded (I mean Ive done a 70% Wc and its still cloudy) loads of fish are dead at the top, all sharks, silvers, redtails, albino. 2dollars, a really nice angel. Its safe to say all his big fish are dead. Besides his plec, the tanks huge say 400litres plus bowfront. But it was well overstocked. I think all that he has left is mollies a plec and 2corys. He is still a way for 2weeks. I did tests and Ammonia was off the chart.

After Wc the ammonia had dropped but still about 0.5 not good Nitrite 0 and nitrates say about 10.

So Im thinking he has lost cycle; I said Ill pop over again tomorrow or next day to check or if it gets bad again the lady knows where I am. But Im not sure what caused it. I checked everything. But the cloudy water, is that the ammonia, an algae bloom what not sure. Filter is running, heat fine, lights etc tank might have been low on oxygen as the house is warm and its been hot recently do you think it was this? Just as advice as feel for my friend I must had netted about 15 fish and they were all lovely. :(

Do you think overfeeding? The gravel was clean, I mean he has plastic plants and they were a bit dirty. He cleaned the tank out before he left Im thinking he may have cleaned it too well and lost cycle.

So just finished a Wc on my tanks that I started at 5:30pm and having a well deserved cup of tea.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: What a night :(

Hey, Jnet.
We talked on messenger allready, but this seems like a thing like a electrical current drop, filtration and aeration stopping for stopping quite some time, than popping back on, thus blowing ammonia and dead bacteria into the tank at once...

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:What a night :(

You know I read about this on another board, reef central I think. We had a really bad thunderstorm here today and I was at work freaking out hoping my power didn't go out. Really stinks, sorry for his loss :-(

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: What a night :(

see I thought power but the neighbor never had power cut and everything was working fine when I checked, we did have a really bad storm but that was Saturday

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:What a night :(

This happened to my neighbors tanks(8 of 12) last year.They went away for a few weeks and left another neighbor to feed everyday. She just went over and dumped the pre portioned food he had left out,into the tank. When he fed them he would put a bit in and a bit more and a bit more until they were fed. By her dumping it all in at once, there was some not getting eaten and after a day or so of the uneaten food polluting the tank, they all went off their food. She didn't know any better so kept on feeding every day. Then I got the call to come look at the dying fish for her. I was 2 days of water changes saving the rest for him. He lost some discus, angels, geos, apistos, and some others. I'm thinking this is what happened to your neighbors. He may not have lost the cycle either but the filtration is so overwhelmed it cant keep up. My neighbor knew he didn't have to feed everyday but always has fry in his tanks and figured it was best. Now he just gets myself or her to feed every few days when they are away.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: What a night :(

she is feeding every other day and hasnt fed them today, I thought this but there isnt any left over food, I would have expected to see flakes or rotting food in gravel or floating there was none of this nor was there any of the worm things (planari) cant think what they are for moment lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds