I told you so, fool!

• Suprd71
  • Suprd71's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 created the topic: I told you so, fool!

Sad that this happened, but at the same time I had to chuckle. Some months back I became engaged in a slight dispute with 2 guys on another "Monster" forum. Both had male Dovii, one in a 60g, the other in a 90g. At the time the 90g guy had about a 9in male, proclaiming the fish had lots of room, its all good, blah, blah. My efforts to explain to him that big fish need big tanks fell on deaf ears and I was dismissed as basically an idiot who knew nothing. I read this morning that his beloved Dovii had basically killed itself from continually ramming the tank walls. I SOOO desperately want to just give him the "I told you so". I wont, but guys like that really piss me off. Anyone can be a fish owner, small majority are fishkeepers. I am proud of all the OFL fishkeepers, new and old, who make the effort to do it right.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: I told you so, fool!

A (not juvenile) dovii in a 60g/90g? Ugh, that's depressing. Poor fish.

I know it's good practice to get a fish that can live out the rest of its days in the the size tank you have, but I know there are situations where people put fish in a tank that's smaller than ideal for the adult fish for a few reasons (aside from neglect) - growing out juveniles/fry for example, and I know you had your jag in a 125g until he was 12 - 13 inches then upgraded to a 180g, and are growing out your Dovii as well.

How do you know when it's time to upgrade to a bigger tank if you go that route? I mean, aside from the obvious (and depressing) stuff like the fish can barely move or starts bashing itself on the glass out of stress.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:I told you so, fool!

Dave I remember that and saw the thread too...oh well already planning on upgrading the 55 so I can thin the stock from the 150 a little. Whats do you think the min would be for 4cl's 3 angels and the tiger silver dollars ?

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Re:I told you so, fool!

I wouldn't keep Angels and SD in the same tank. Angelfish are best kept in community tanks with other species that are not the type to be dominant + the SD's will go to town on the angels fin's.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:I told you so, fool!

Any time I get on the only "monster" fish site I know of to browse, I don't have an account there but browse once in awhile, it's the same old how many big fish can you put in a big tank until there's no swimming room, or what's the biggest fish I can put in a small tank. Every time I got on there I just left mad at the juvenile behaviour and also I noticed as you said... any time someone tried to help someone, the person offering advice was always wrong. Most of the fish kept there have no place in home aquaria, even a small back yard pond is too small. Maybe I've just never been on at the right time to see the positive stuff. I'm sure there is lots.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:I told you so, fool!

Guess the sd's better get with the program ...still wanna upgrade that tank though 4 cl's and the angels....maybe add a couple more angels

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:I told you so, fool!

One thread on a "monster" fish site I lurk occasionally that I thought was a good one was about a large JD that had a massive wound in its head that the guy was able to save, but generally, yeah, I'm not a fan. I remember reading one thread where people were trying to say that doing 1 w/c a week for an oscar was excessive and could be causing the fish problems... and don't forget the umpteeth "What is the most aggressive cichlid" threads that seem to pop up constantly on there.

It isn't just that forum though. Outside of here, it seems to be a general consensus that doing too many water changes (as in, more than 1 a week) is a bad thing. I lurk a couple of Australian cichlid forums as well and it's no different to the monster one. I actually joined one before joining here when I was wondering about tank mates for Henry, and was recommended to either keep him alone or add enough cichlids that it was a controlled overcrowding situation.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: I told you so, fool!

Yeah that guy on the 'Monster' site was so amendment that he would be able to house that dovii in a 120g tank up until it was 20" and that his 90g was just fine for a juvenile. He would also always push that the dovii could be kept with tankmates because he had seen it on YouTube being done. Sad that he lost the fish, but I think the fish is in a better place.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: I told you so, fool!

If someone could link to the exchange between Dave and the fish owner, I would like to see it. I had my similar sized dovii in a 55 for a couple of months, and the only problem was he was quite reclusive. Now he is in a 6 '125gal, and has self inflicted injuries all the time. Obviously a 6' x 18" tank will not work for this fish long term, but should be sufficient at 11'. Now that he has taken ownership of his surroundings, he is like a missle, and i am not really sure that a bigger boat would calm him much.

My guess is that when these fish hit adolescence, they can get a little nuts, and can easily hurt themselves in the process. A larger tank may help, but if the fish hits it at full speed, the results would be the same. i really think there is something more here, than a small tank.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: I told you so, fool!

This is the death announcement one, I will post a link to the other stuff if I get time to look. (After all I am at work! :P )

www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?590882-Dovii-dead-%281-Viewing%29

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds