Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

• Rogue_Violetta
  • Rogue_Violetta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta created the topic: Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

I've been considering getting a BGK since I first saw one, and fell in love. However, my tank isn't big enough, and the loaches aren't really... compatible... with them.

I've been doing a lot of thinking on it the last few months, and I do want to get one, but I want to get the tank size that would be best for one at full size, which I understand is just over a foot on average. What would be anyone's recommendation for the size tank required? I'd be growing it in that tank, as we don't have too much space (we live in a townhouse), so I wouldn't have the room to have the differing size tanks. Also, when the tanks aren't in use, they look too tempting to fill... ;)

Would a 6x2 tank be good? Or would I need to look bigger?

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

They grow closer to two feet (20 inches), so definitely a minimum of 6 x 2 feet so they have room to swim and turn.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rogue_Violetta

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

I was thinking the 6x2 for that reason, but wanted to be sure. I really want any fish I get to not be crowded, or in too small a space, and would rather save up, and get the tank it'll eventually need when grown, then spend money on smaller tanks, as I don't know what the future might hold.

Would a 7 ft tank perhaps be better? This is a more long term thing for me. I've also discussed a custom tank with my husband, using plexi, so it would be easier to move into place.

And I've gotten him to agree to removing the carpets if we buy this house (currently renting) and getting floorboards instead, so I don't have to worry as much about where in the dining room/lounge to put the tank.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

As Poseidon2.0 has said they grow to 20 inches so the bigger the better.If you can afford 7 ft get one.They are a nocturnal fish which means there would be very little activity during the day, still a very cool looking fish.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

I'll look into finding a 7ft tank then. As this is long term, it also gives me time to save up for the tank, filter and everything else.

Good thing they're nocturnal... if I can, this tank will be in the bedroom. So i can watch my fish when I can't sleep! But then, some of my fish are supposed to be nocturnal and sleep all night!

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

Not sure whats available on your side of the world, but I have an 84x24x30 265g Marineland tank. Cost me $1400 here in Canada. Its glass, weighs 400lbs dry, but is a fantastic tank. I would estimate an acrylic build of similar dimensions would be several thousand dollars. Big acrylics are huge expenses, and other than weight differences, I dont see the justification of triple or more over glass.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

I could be wrong, but I think she meant an acrylic front + plywood tank.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

Oh, ok.. but still, go price a slab of cell cast acrylic... ouch! Plain old plexi is no good, it will emit carcinogens, slowly and minute amounts, but over time a health risk.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

Really? I haven't heard that before, and now I'm confused. I was looking up the difference between plexiglass and acrylic and a bunch of places are saying they're made of the same stuff. To add to the confusion acrylic is often called perspex here. Don't they make a bunch of the large, commercial aquariums out of acrylic?

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:Black Ghost Knife full tank size?

I have a Clown Knife in my 10x2x2 and that was 25" long

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds