Random thoughts. ..

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare created the topic: Random thoughts. ..

Can a blue crayfish live in a 10 gallon tank?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: Random thoughts. ..

The only crayfish I've ever had is one that has been sitting on my dinner plate.Joking aside, I just googled blue crayfish to see how big They get and apparently they can reach 6 inches. That said, I would suggest a 10 gallon tank is not big enough. You should have a look at this website, its dedicated to the blue crayfish, the guy seems to know a lot about them, although I didn't see anything about tank size.

www.bluecrayfish.com/index.htm

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• JBare
  • JBare's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Random thoughts. ..

On the care sheet it says (1) crayfish per 10 gallons, so I think I might be ok since I was just planning on 1. I'll keep reading though to make sure I really want to do it.

1 crayfish (up to 6-7 inches long) per 10 gallons is the max. cray-bio-load. (per the site) What i found interesting was how it said to hold the crayfish upside down just under the surface of the water for a bit before putting it in the tank, interesting!!!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Random thoughts. ..

I've always wanted one of these! They can "live" in a 10, BUT IMO They need more real estate. I would go for a twenty long. Plenty of room for decor and the Cray.

It boggles my mind that they would recommend a 10 for something that gets to 5 inches, but they will also recommend a ten for a fiddler crab that get to an inch.

I think the 10 must be a minimum....like we say 55 is a minimum for an O....but what we really want to say is 75!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds