Fish Bucket List

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: Fish Bucket List

I thought this could be a complementary thread to the Fish Roll Call. What are some of your dream setups? What would you like to one day own? What are some of your dream fish you've finally gotten your hands on?

For me, the first was an oscar :laugh: and I've just scratched a big one off my list (umbee).

At the top of my list in the future is a Jag and/or P. Friedrichsthalii and/or Motaguense, but I'd also love to one day get a couple of big cichlid community setups - one with SA cichlids, one with the (relatively) less aggressive CA cichlids. That probably won't happen for a long time though.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Fish Bucket List

I'd like to move my Africans I to a 300 gallon, and I'd love to have a Dovii set up :-) My husband wants a Bala shark setup.

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Fish Bucket List

Pair of RTM
Pair of Rio Mag. Umbee

that'll be two 220 Gal tank ~

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

For me it would have to be a freshwater ray. Two years back my wife and I celebrated our 10yr anniversary with a cruise. We stopped at Grand Cayman and got to go in the water with the stingrays. This had to be one of the coolest things I had ever experienced. We went with a private, family owned little charter we found online and we were happy we did. There was only eight of us on the boat and we had lots of time playing with the rays compared to the big companies that had 40-50 people on their boats.

Here is what it looks like when you get there. All these boats anchored around a sandbar where the water is only about 3-5ft deep. It was kind of freaky to see these large dark shapes coming toward you when you were in the water!

I bought an underwater camera housing before I went (Best $20 on Amazon, I ever spent) so I was able to shoot in and under the water. You have to realize this pic was just me sticking the camera under water and shooting, the rays would brush by your legs as you were in the water.

Our guide 'made us' kiss the rays - this shot had a sun spot/flare so it did not come out as well as i would have liked.

Nothing worse than having to sit through someone else vacation pics so thats all I will share. ;)

Ever since that trip my bucket list fish is a freshwater ray.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

Wow, that's amazing! What species of ray (if any) did you have in mind? There's some juvenile motoro stingrays (Potamotrygon motoro) for sale at a LFS near me at the moment. Absolutely beautiful to look at, but they get up to 1m in diameter so I can only imagine the size tank you'd need for one.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

I want to one day have a Dovii again...(RIP Sauron)

I really have wanted a pure Trimac (NO FH, I would NEVER own an abomination like that!!! :pinch: ) for some time. Just don't have a spare 180GL floating around. They are a beautiful fish....& you can't improve on Mother Nature.

I had N. Beani on my list....now I have one thanks to Ed Hall. Waiting to hear about getting a female.......breeding this species would be a challenge, to say the least, as they hate all life. :evil: Ex....I had 6 GD's in my Beani's tank when he was very small as dithers....I found them all dead the next day...not eaten, but every one of them had their guts ripped out.

One day I would like to breed Discus again......some WC Royal Blue or Browns, my personal faves......maybe when I retire....they do require more attention than I have right now.

WC Royal Blue

WC Brown

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

:( Always sad to hear about someone losing a fish like a Dovii... RIP Sauron indeed.

A trimac is one I'd love to own but won't allow myself to even put on a 'bucket list' until I find a source of purebred ones. The massive influx of flowerhorns has just DECIMATED whatever population of pure trimacs used to float around. People refused to buy pure trimacs because they looked like 'low quality' flowerhorns, and people also passed off flowerhorns as pure trimacs. It caused whatever market there used to be to just disappear for the most part. If there was ever a fish I'd want to breed one day, true trimacs would be right up there.

I'd also love to get a pair of Festaes one day.

WC discus are gorgeous - I much prefer them to the colour mutations that are around.

I can't stand flowerhorns. I'm sure some of them make great 'wet pets' but hybrid cichlids in general just... no. Especially those poor flowerhorns that end up with the giant kok things. Who on earth would think something like this is attractive? The poor fish looks like it's in pain from the size of that thing.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

I'd love another male Betta in a proper tank (My late Aragorn was in a plastic tank with scratches, so I never got a pic of his awesome colouring). Also, being able to properly control the temp and all...

I also really want an Oscar. I'm sure most people have read the story about the one I knew as a child, and knowing what I know now, realise what a dick my mother's ex was, and kind of want to make it up to the species. But he was my favourite fish as a kid, and I'd love to have one around, especially if I run into him again one day... ;) But I'd hopefully get an albino, whereas Oscar was a tiger.

I wouldn't mind a nice community tank either. But I have my loach tank, which is going to end up a community tank, so that will have to do for me, lol.

Also, I wouldn't mind a turtle. Unless it really bites. I'd like a nice friendly turtle.

But top of my list (even above my oscar), would be my husband deciding what he wants in his tank! It's driving me nuts!!!

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

I abhor hybrids....I consider them abominations that should be eradicated from the hobby. True species of cichlids are disappearing from the wild & the hobby, & we see horror shows like FH's out there continue to grow in popularity. (Dave has a Red Texas that's cool, but he's not breeding it.)

I think the ACA now recognizes FH's @ shows. (Correct me if I'm wrong) I will never be a member of any organization that does this.

Why do people like bubble eye goldfish, glowfish, blood parrots, etc? Unknown. But until there is no longer a market for these horror-shows unfortunately we will see them continuing to be bred.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Fish Bucket List

Lammergeier wrote: :( Always sad to hear about someone losing a fish like a Dovii... RIP Sauron indeed.

A trimac is one I'd love to own but won't allow myself to even put on a 'bucket list' until I find a source of purebred ones. The massive influx of flowerhorns has just DECIMATED whatever population of pure trimacs used to float around. People refused to buy pure trimacs because they looked like 'low quality' flowerhorns, and people also passed off flowerhorns as pure trimacs. It caused whatever market there used to be to just disappear for the most part. If there was ever a fish I'd want to breed one day, true trimacs would be right up there.

I'd also love to get a pair of Festaes one day.

WC discus are gorgeous - I much prefer them to the colour mutations that are around.

I can't stand flowerhorns. I'm sure some of them make great 'wet pets' but hybrid cichlids in general just... no. Especially those poor flowerhorns that end up with the giant kok things. Who on earth would think something like this is attractive? The poor fish looks like it's in pain from the size of that thing.

I'm sorry dude, but when I saw this fish, the first thing I looked for was the tentacles. Reminds me of a boss from World of Warcraft- the mind controlling octopus that jumps from head to head.

ETA: i'm now calling FH's 'Chernobyl Fish'.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.120 seconds