Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

• jmunroe
  • jmunroe's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 195

jmunroe created the topic: Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

So I'm my search for the right pleco I came across this at a local pet store. The guy who was there today happens to be a hobbyist who I've dealt with there for a few years and is quite knowledgeable. So I see the odd looking pleco and after asking about it he explains to me that another local hobbyist brought 3 of them in. The person told him they setup a 75 gallon(I think that's what size he said it was) community awhile ago that had a common pleco and a bristlenose pleco. One day they noticed they had 5 plecos. The 2 they had initially put in plus these 3 smaller ones. No other plecos were ever in the tank. It is a very short tailed and stubby looking looking common basically. Anyone every hear of this sort of thing before? I didn't think it could happen, but the pleco I saw today has me wondering. On another note I was going to meet up with someone tomorrow that has a 15 year old common pleco that needs a home. It's only 8 inches as it spent its life in the 25 gallon that he recently picked up. I can't make the pickup due to a family function tomorrow. Oh well. The search will continue. I could certainly just order any pleco I want from a couple different reliable sources but there are quite a few common plecos free to good homes here on Kijiji. I'm looking for the perfect one that won't get too big. Like a stunted common or a common with 8 spines or less on the dorsal. I'd like to have one that hits 12 inches and not 20. Any info on what this common/bristlenose might end up like would be great.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

Cant say I've heard of such a thing, but would be an interesting fish. Too bad about the old fella. At 15yrs and obviously stunted, I think he is likely near the end of the trail. I say keep hunting for a common with the low spine count. I have a few, the oldest is around 3 and not yet a foot long, prob more like 10ins. WAAAY easier on the bioload than the big brutes. My Sailfin is over a foot, its a huge mess maker. Cool plec though.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

Yeah I figured as well that the old guy was close to the end and wanted to give him a decent home for his last remaining time alive. Oh well I think he's going to a good home. Another member of the local club is taking him in. The guy has all big tanks. I've never heard of the pleco crosses either but I'm gonna just keep looking for the right common. Seems to be lots looking for homes in 6-12 inch range around here. Just gotta find one with the right spine count.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

I have to say that fact is that the 2 fish you mentioned are NOT able to reproduce.
Pleco's of the same family certainly can, for instance if you had 2 "Commons" like Pterigoplychtis pardalis and Pterigoplychtis gibbiceps, chances are you can crossbreed with them, or at least in nature cross-breeding happens.
But you''d need a massive tank,for this species digs mudholes to lay their eggs in, i fear none of us has such a big tank... :unsure:

The Bristlenose a.k.a. Ancistus pleco is a totally different family and will not reproduce with "Commons", if you are reffering to the Pterigoplichtis family.
I hear you talkng about lesser finspines, but one of the main definitions of a "Common-Pleco"is that he has 11 or more finspines on it back. :huh:
So, all Pleco's of the Ptergoplychtis family have 11 or more backspines, anything with less spines belongs to a different family.
Funny thing is that there are 7 new genera have been added to the P.family since I joined this site, and the number of members of the pleco family has risen from about 350 to 1100, so there will be a lot of work to do in the coming years. ;)

You have good motives for trying to save a stunted "Common" , but keep in mind that the internal organs might have been stunted too.
I do encourage people to rescue a healthy Common, so it can grow properly, but only will I advice them if your tank is big enough.
Preferably 8 feet long, but not everybody has a few of those running.
I rescued a baby Pterigo, about 8 inch long, for it was in a 20 Gl tank.(only for a couple of days, it was in a big tank beforehand, so no stunted growth)
And although I have some big fish allready, rescueing this one may result in the need for a bigger tank...

A good reference to maximum size can be found at www.planetcatfish.com .
At their Cat-E-Log (look for the Loricariidae- family) you can look for fish of the same size or near to the same size that you desire.

I hope this helps a bit.

• jmunroe
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

Great info Noddy thanks. I figured as much with regards to the breeding of these 2 plecos. I didn't think it's was possible, so my guess is the owner is confused about what he actually has for plecos. As for the 11 or less spines, I'd like to have a 12-13 inch max pleco. But bigger than 6-8 inches. I remember a post you made about looking for the lesser spines to indicate size in what is sometimes sold as common plecos. I'll continue searching, and any advice is appreciated.

• Thank you received: 182

jnet replied the topic: Common crossed with bristlenose pleco?

that sounds like my plec its 18year olf sold as a common that doesnt grow to big he said about 20cm and thats about as big as it is. It grew to that and stopped but its not squashed or anything. Noddy I.D. it for me before :)

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.128 seconds