exterminator coming to spray...got questions

• AZ Steve
  • AZ Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve created the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

okay so I found myself in a tough situation. I've noticed a few bugs in the place and I need to spray. what precautions do I need to take with my tanks to make sure none of aerosol floats into the water. or if you guys have a better solution to get rid of bugs rather than aerosol spray from the exterminator please let me know

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Every 6 months or so my partner sprays the outside of the house with something like this www.bunnings.com.au/defender-3l-home-defense-barrier-spray_p3010169 . It stops most insects/spiders from coming inside the house. I have birds as well as fish so any indoor sprays are an absolute no-no. If we get anything inside it gets disposed of in the old fashioned way - squished or caught and taken back outside, depending. Maybe that would be an alternative worth trying?

Where are your fish kept? If you have them in a separate room, perhaps you can seal the door off - towel blocking the underneath of the door, or even duct tape or something around it to make sure no fumes get in. If your tanks are throughout the house that makes it a bit more complicated.

Not sure if this would actually work, but if we ever had to spray something inside what I'd be inclined to do would be to completely seal the top of the tank with glad-wrap and tape or something, and turn off any air pumps. If the fumes were going to be at an unsafe level for more than an hour or so, before sealing up the tank I'd move the spray bar to increase surface agitation and lower the water level to keep as much oxygen as possible circulating in the water while the air pump isn't running. Afterwards, I'd do a big w/c just to be on the safe side.

• AZ Steve
  • AZ Steve's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 35

AZ Steve replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Oh believe me I've squished,smacked,stomped,wacked and even vacuumed em up. They still seem to get into everything. Dam cockroaches. Tanks are in the most open part of the house. Maybe a good bait or trap? They check in but dont check kinda thing lol. Just looking for options(b-4 I gotta resort to sealing up the tanks and spraying)

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Oh god, cockroaches? A bait or trap would be worth a shot, definitely, and I'd still suggest trying an outdoor spray to see if that at least thins their numbers a bit. Cockroaches are so hard to get rid of though without just about nuking the damn things.

• Thank you received: 237

Noddy replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Lammergeier wrote: Oh god, cockroaches? A bait or trap would be worth a shot, definitely, and I'd still suggest trying an outdoor spray to see if that at least thins their numbers a bit. Cockroaches are so hard to get rid of though without just about nuking the damn things.

Uhm, that wouldn't work, i think they tried already, and tests showed that even nucleiar radiation willl not eradicate them.
After a complete nucleair strike, cockroaches are thought to be the first creature to start or continue life then. :ohmy:

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Do you have cats? My two cats torment and torture cockroaches that we get in our building (very ubiquitous in Philly). I don't like pesticides at all, even for myself, let alone the fish.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Dont spray! Use diatomaceous earth. Must be food grade. Or use bait gel and put it around your hob

edit to add.., I dont mean in your hob, i mean around the outside. Hobs are roach paradise

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

get a nuke

Haku, I knew your were good.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: exterminator coming to spray...got questions

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.164 seconds