This seriously got to me...

• Rogue_Violetta
  • Rogue_Violetta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta created the topic: This seriously got to me...

Yesterday, I had to go in for a special x-ray (it was a dye one, but they had problems completing the procedure), and guess what was in the waiting room?

Yep, a tank. Water a weird shade of yellow, about three feet, not very good filtration (took me a while to even notice any), one of the fish was obviously unwell, and had had its tail nibbled on, and overcrowded. Did I mention you could tell everything was high by the smell?

Naturally, upon finishing the partially done procedure, I asked about the fish. Apparently, a company maintains the tank. I told them that the white fish should be in quarantine right away, and they said they'd make a note of it. So, I offered to take the fish home. Poor thing is regrowing its tail, getting chased by other fish, stressed out, and even gasping and lethargic.

Nope, couldn't take the fish home. Not even sure what the poor thing was exactly, but it looks a lot like a cichlid tank to my untrained eye. Luckily, my husband got some pics. I'm seriously going to find out which 'local mob' looks after this tank, and have words with them. It's disgusting how people do this and get away with it, in public!

Here's the pics.

You can see the sick one at the front in the above pic.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: This seriously got to me...

Oh hey, is that where I rescued Adie from? Because I honestly thought you'd gone to CR before reading through.

No but seriously, sadly this kind of thing is really common. S***, but common. A lot of places (and people) tend to view fish as ornaments - it's a part of why there are companies whose job is to maintain other people's fish tanks. God forbid people have any desire to actually take care of the animals they keep.

It seems like it's almost universal that the companies that are hired for tank maintenance do a terrible job of it. I'm yet to hear about a single tank that is maintained by a company that does even a borderline acceptable job.

I wonder who was the genius who decided to mix American and African cichlids like that...

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: This seriously got to me...

Maybe CR are branching out? I mean, they are the same geniuses who thought it was a great idea to put Adie in with RD's and Oscars...

It wouldn't surprise me, it's too small a town here. Ugh it just gets to me, keep thinking about that little white fishie and hoping it's okay...

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: This seriously got to me...

That tank has more substrate than water :(

Looks like a MFK teenager put it together.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: This seriously got to me...

purplecandle wrote: That tank has more substrate than water :(

That was my first thought too. Too much substrate. What the hell are they putting Af. and SA cichlids together in the same tank?! Definitely put together by a teenager, lol.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: This seriously got to me...

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

purplecandle wrote: That tank has more substrate than water :(

That was my first thought too. Too much substrate. What the hell are they putting Af. and SA cichlids together in the same tank?! Definitely put together by a teenager, lol.

Where we live? Probably just an idiot who looked up pictures on the google, went "they'll look nice together" and stuffed them all in. In other words, an idiot, the ones good LFS' hate.

ETA: I'm going to try and find the company that supposedly maintains this tank. I want to know what f****g idiot thoughtr it was a brilliant idea to put a convict and a green terror IN A 3FT TANK TOGETHER for one thing... ugh. I just wanted to bring that white fishie home on the off chance i could make it a bit better. It was trying to regrow its tail. A yellow one was as well, but didn't seem as bad as the little white one.

I also suspect there was some ich in there as well.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds