Salt

• Craigsfish
  • Craigsfish's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 27

Craigsfish created the topic: Salt

Helped friend set up saltwater tank with live coral, clownfish, starfish and some kind of little jumpy fish. I never want to mess with saltwater again! Was the first time I really messed with a protein skimmer but I think I got everything set up right, and the fish are doing good for now, fingers crossed lol.. What a nightmare....

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 7

oscarmitch replied the topic: Re:Salt

Yes salt can be tricky until you get the hang of it. Protein skimmers can be tricky when they are new because they have a break in period.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Salt

SW is not at all difficult.......but it does require patience, the right equipment, & most of all, MONEY.....LOTS OF IT. A "fish-only tank" can be fairly costly, but when you start talking a reef system, back the money truck up to the LFS & keep dumping..... :whistle: I once had a guy come to me wanting to start a reef tank....dropped $10,000 in a week, (265GL tank, wet/dry, PS, lighting, salt, calcifiers,live rock, etc,etc) & that was back in the early 90's.

The number one thing to remember about SW is that it holds 20% less O2 than FW....FW is MUCH more forgiving than SW, there is no "overstocking" in a SW aquarium.......O/S in a SW tank leads to dead fish & lost $$$$.

Just out of curiosity........how did you cycle the filters & what types of filtration beyond a PS is on this tank? Also, what size aquarium is it?

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Craigsfish replied the topic: Salt

Hey Jack, She bought it used with everything running when she arrived. Its a small 20g standard. It had the ps and a AC50. The tank was not usable it was nasty caked in algae and crud, so she went and bought a new 20g at wal-mart. The Coral was full of bb as was the aqua clear sponge and bio max. It came with one of the marine-land fancy lights(not sure what they are called, but know they are needed for SW) and a wave maker for the coral. She is picking up an power head today at pet-smart for added o2. Tested the salt on the weird meter thing and it was in the red good range. After 2 hours of clearing up from the sand dust last night I tested the water and it came back with no ammonia or nitrites, but the nitrates were in the 40s? Is that caused from the Coral? I take it wc are need just like freshwater to bring them down? thanks for any help you can give Jack..Hope I did this right!

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Salt

PM me your address............I have an old Tetra marine book I'll give ya, if I can find it.....kinda like the "Cichlid Aquarium" but for SW....I don't need it, not gonna do SW anytime soon. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigsfish

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Salt

Im putting together a reef right now, it doesnt have to be expensive if you research and shop around im into my 46 bow setup for about $500 and im just about ready to put it together and fill it up. The live rock in the tank is the filtration thats why its so critical to have good flow and no dead spots through the rock work, the protein skimmers job is to remove nitrates from the water. On a reef water changes are small spread out, i only plan to do a 8-9 gallon one once a week and thats actually quite often for a reef but you have to top off the tank/sump almost daily to keep your salinity in check.

Nitrates should never be that high in a SW tank they really need to be in the 5-10 range. Is she using RODI water??

• Craigsfish
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Craigsfish replied the topic: Salt

Ken, should the reef be stacked or does it matter?
Will be testing the water in a couple of hours and see what the results are. She told me a few hours ago that the water was crystal, so we will see what the test says...then go from there.. also is the protein skimmer suppose to have any sort of media in it? .thanks for the help man!

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re:Salt

Stacked is fine she just needs to be sure she has enough live rock, the rule is 1-1.5lbs per gallon

No media needed just bubbles, you want the bubbles to start at the bottom of the neck and work there way up into the cup. The bubbles will carry the junk from the water into the skimmate cup where it can be dumped as needed
The following user(s) said Thank You: Craigsfish

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds