Did I do the right thing?

• robham7770
  • robham7770's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 171

robham7770 created the topic: Did I do the right thing?

My lfs has a fish trade in day every first Tuesday of the month You get half retail price credit towards the purchase of other fish or plants. Yesterday I traded my rtc/tsn, syndontis, and mayan in. and got a $30 dollar credit. I did not get anything since the credit is good till the end of the month, but I feel really guilty about the transaction. I feel like I handed the rtc a death sentence since, very few people will know what he is and what he will become. Should I go back and get him?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Nope. What's done is done.....you can't/shouldn't dwell on "what-ifs". I've traded in quite a few fish in my time for one reason or another. Don't look back, move on. B)

My only problem is........What's w/ the store credit only being good until the end of the month? That doesn't seem equitable. That's like getting a gift card that's only good for 2 weeks..... :pinch:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

It a part of owning fish some times you have to give some of them up. Your reasons were valid.

+1 on the short term store credit...whats up with that?

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Thanks Jack, I have a lot of issues with the way my lfs operates, but they are the only game in town. as far as independents go. I would love to open a store here, that just sells top quality fish, aquarium products, big tanks, and offers solid advice to customers. My dad is retired, and has offered his support financially. If I ever get it going, you will be the first to know, as a paid consultant.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Its hard to let go when you are not sure of their future but I think you did the right thing. While the possibility exists that they may not receive everything the need... there is also the possibility that they will get more than anything you would be able to provide. I always try to think positively that they are getting better homes.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

I can imagine it's hard wondering what will become of them. But that's out of your hands and there's no changing it. You can never know ... it could be the best thing for them. What about the members here? We're all excellent fishkeepers. Your fish could easily end up with someone like that. Don't think you didn't do the right thing.

On another note, for people like me who have only been in the hobby for about a year, I have trouble with something. I can't tell what fish you guys are talking about much of the time. I have no idea what an rtc or a tsn is. Syndontis sounds like something you go to the doctor for and a mayan is a member of an extinct civilization. But at least I can look up the last two ... it's the abbreviations I can't figure out. Maybe someone could post a list of common fish spoken of here with their abbreviations. That would be a huge help.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: Re:Did I do the right thing?

TSN - Tiger shovel nose catfish.
RTC - Red tail catfish.
RTC/TSN - mixed breed of the 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

UNC-CH wrote: Syndontis sounds like something you go to the doctor for

:laugh:

I think they prescribe an ointment for that! ;)

• robham7770
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

robham7770 replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

UNC-CH wrote: I can imagine it's hard wondering what will become of them. But that's out of your hands and there's no changing it. You can never know ... it could be the best thing for them. What about the members here? We're all excellent fishkeepers. Your fish could easily end up with someone like that. Don't think you didn't do the right thing.

On another note, for people like me who have only been in the hobby for about a year, I have trouble with something. I can't tell what fish you guys are talking about much of the time. I have no idea what an rtc or a tsn is. Syndontis sounds like something you go to the doctor for and a mayan is a member of an extinct civilization. But at least I can look up the last two ... it's the abbreviations I can't figure out. Maybe someone could post a list of common fish spoken of here with their abbreviations. That would be a huge help.

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I could have at least added catfish and cichlid behind the names. I am good with the common names, but admit that the acronyms , like hrp (Hounduran red point), still throw me as well. I really get confused when you get into the scientific names. DB did a great job of explaining, and you probably won't see the rtc or tsn reference often here, since these fish get huge 36"+ on the small side, and are really not suited for any tank that is not 48"x96" at a minimum. Which is why I opted to trade mine in.

MIne

A big one

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Man.....I would give a LOT to catch one of those bad boys.......we get some nice size Channel cats & the occasional Flathead on the Delaware......but nothing like that monster....& I would wager that's not even full grown. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds