Did I do the right thing?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

robham7770 wrote: Thanks Jack, I have a lot of issues with the way my lfs operates, but they are the only game in town. as far as independents go. I would love to open a store here, that just sells top quality fish, aquarium products, big tanks, and offers solid advice to customers. My dad is retired, and has offered his support financially. If I ever get it going, you will be the first to know, as a paid consultant.

Let me know......the 1st thing you need is a good site w/ LOTS of parking that's easily accessed from a major thorough fare, & some sort of small warehouse so you can buy in bulk (could even be a very large lock-able shed).... B) you need to undercut everybody, but that won't be hard if you have the chain stores around you like Petsmart/Petco......I know for a fact they are outrageously priced on aquarium supplies, about a 75% mark up.

Ask your LFS guy when he gets deliveries, & try to be there when they deliver (most LFS in my area are Wed)....then you can see what whole-saler he buys from. :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Re: petsmart/co markup.

I would have thought that those huge petmarts had prices that were near rock-bottom. But now that I think about it, you're right. My independent fish store (which closed earlier this year ... 1986-2014) did have prices that were lower on food, most supplies, especially small items, etc. That really flies in the face of my common conception regarding independents v/s chains.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Did I do the right thing?

Just FYI.......I used to manage a chain of independent LFS's years ago, so I have a wee bit of insight on how they turn a profit.......what you have to remember about chains like PS/PC is that they are publicly traded corporations, & are solely in it to turn a HUGE profit that helps their bottom line.

PetSmart: PETM- Petco: PETC

Unfortunately, most people assume that simply because they are a huge chain, that the prices will be lower than anywhere else. Simply not the case. While it is nice that they have an adoption center in most PS/PC's, they are in it for the $$$$........I will run in & get dog/cat food if it's on sale or I have a good coupon, but actually Target is MUCH cheaper on those items than PS/PC.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds