Stupid Husband & a Turtle

• purplecandle
  • purplecandle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 41

purplecandle created the topic: Stupid Husband & a Turtle

Yeah, hubby brought home a turtle... no clue if it was legal. Now kids want to keep it. What do I do? It appears to be a red eared slider??? I think that's what it called. Anybody have a good article? Don't turtles need large tanks? Any help appreciated.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 10

TheLilMommaB replied the topic: Re:Stupid Husband & a Turtle

I have a red eared slider they get to be between 8-12 inches and need 10 gallons of water per inch of shell length straight across so a 12 inch turtle needs 120 gallon atleast. [URL] http://www.redearslider.com/index.html[/URL] has lots of info on how to care for them. We just picked our girl up about 3 weeks ago from someone who didn't want her and she's 6 inches but was in a 29 gallon tank and it's been impossible to keep her water clean. We are moving her to the 55 after we get the Oscars in the 130 today. Then the work will start on building the indoor pond.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 6 purple pincher hermit crabs, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.
The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle replied the topic: Stupid Husband & a Turtle

Ok after further research it is definitely a male southern painted turtle. As far as I can tell it can stay in a 55 half land have water with uv and a heat lamp. However,I'm so clueless here! I do happen to have a cycled 55 with no fish in it......was going to be an African tank!!! :( I'm so ticked off about that!!! :pinch:

Weirdly, this species should not be this far north. I'm wondering if it was a drop off since its north of its natural habitat and it was nowhere near water

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle replied the topic: Re:Stupid Husband & a Turtle

TheLilMommaB wrote: I have a red eared slider they get to be between 8-12 inches and need 10 gallons of water per inch of shell length straight across so a 12 inch turtle needs 120 gallon atleast. [URL] http://www.redearslider.com/index.html[/URL] has lots of info on how to care for them. We just picked our girl up about 3 weeks ago from someone who didn't want her and she's 6 inches but was in a 29 gallon tank and it's been impossible to keep her water clean. We are moving her to the 55 after we get the Oscars in the 130 today. Then the work will start on building the indoor pond.

Stay at home mommy to 4 kids (Ana 11, Joseph 9, Alizabeth 6, and Christian 2) 8 cats, 6 purple pincher hermit crabs, 4 little molly fish, 3 ferrets, 2 parrakets, 2 Oscars, 1 red eared slider, 1 cockatiel, 1 goldfish and 1 bone headed pittbull.

Thanks for the info...seems I have a different species though now after research.

How did you clean the water?

Just uses a gravel vacuum and took as much water as I could out with that being careful to get all the nasties from the bottom and refilled with declorinated water.

The following user(s) said Thank You: purplecandle

• purplecandle
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

purplecandle replied the topic: Stupid Husband & a Turtle

What does your turtle like to eat?

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Stupid Husband & a Turtle

I love turtles but always find them hard to care for, lol

Ms. Bittie (since she bites...alot) gets fed every other day. One day is turtle pellets and the next feed is leafy greens. Twice a week after her food for that day she gets a little snack some fruit one day and a protein on the other. You can over feed turtles really easily cuz they are extreme beggars :-)

• Thank you received: 583

Suprd71 replied the topic: Re:Stupid Husband & a Turtle

Good luck with the turtle, I have zip to offer as far as care, but fyi.. after you use an an aquarium as a terrarium, its pretty well terrarium for life as the heat lamps dry out the silicone seals. Before you commit a perfectly good 55g fish tank, perhaps you should browse CL for an old beater that would be alright for the turtle.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

We are thinking after she grows out of the 55 we might add a bearded dragon to the mix so I don't really mind setting it as a terrarium but from what I understand about it with the way we are setting it up the silicone will be fine since it will be completely full of water with her lights shining only on the basking area which will be resting on top of the tank since red eared sliders need more swimming areas than dry land

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.139 seconds