I need help with stocking!

• calebn0418
  • calebn0418's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

calebn0418 created the topic: I need help with stocking!

I have an idea, alright? I want to eventually get a 125 gallon cichlid tank. I want to get 2 Tiger Oscars, 2 Red Oscars, 2 Black Convicts, 8 Silver Dollars, 2 Common Plecostomus and 1 Black Ghost Knife Fish. I need to know if it's a good stocking method, or if it's going to be over crowded? I heard after 100 gallons your options for stocking grow exponentially. I'm not worried about bioload. I'm going to get 2 or 3 filters that can filter 360 GPH plus I have a sponge filter for a 55 gallon. I'm willing to invest in more filtration if need be. I need advice, though. If I can add more fish, please let me know. I want as many beautiful Cichlids as possible.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

Hi and welcome to OFL good news that you are doing some research. Unfortunately if you want to keep Oscars your tank size vis barely big enough for two Oscars, many of our members would probably suggesting one. Oscars require a minimum requirement of 75 gallons. Same goes for the plecos. Cichlids are a great fish to keep but must be kept in the correct conditions. Some of our senior members will have some good ideas on stocking a 125, I am sure you will get some good ideas.

• calebn0418
  • calebn0418's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

calebn0418 replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

The Red Oscars are optional for me. But the Tigers are a staple.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

stock for adults sizes, for all the fish you want, you need at least a 8 foot 360g tank. The amount of fish you can have does not go up exponentially with larger tanks if you keep very large fish that get at least 12" in adult size.

Average size of oscar is 14"
average size of bgk is 12"
average size of male convict 5"
average size of pleco 16"
average size of silver dollar 6"

If 125g is the max aquarium you can get, here are your options for example.
1. 2 oscars
2. 1 oscar and 1 common pleco
3. 1 oscar and 1 bgk
4. 1 oscar and 8 silver dollars
5. 1 oscar and 2 male convicts
6. 1 bgk and 1 common pleco
7. 1 bgk and 8 silver dollars
8. 6 silver dollars, 2 male convicts, 1 bgk

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

With filtration you probably need to be looking in the order of 800gph-1200gph and that is maybe two Oscars.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: I need help with stocking!

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Having plenty of filtration is a good thing, but all the filtration in the world won't prevent you from having to perform frequent large water changes. With 2 oscars in a 125 gal you're looking at about a 50% water change per week.

I'd go with one oscar and a few silver dollars. They are beautiful fish that go well together.

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: I need help with stocking!

There are tons of beautiful cichlids out there, not just the big ones.

If you want more than one or two fish, your choices will grow if you go with smaller and less aggressive species.

If you were to put all the fish you listed in there it would look So crowded!

So..are you willing to go smaller or do you know of your other options?

If you want a community tank, Oscars really aren't the best choice.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: I need help with stocking!

For what you want to do, you would need bare minimum 500GL aquarium. Also, please note that you would have to cycle the filtration system prior to adding cichlids, so you will have a mature bacteria colony.

FYI, 125GL is a drop in the bucket for large cichlids. One Oscar alone could dominate a 125GL aquarium. Stocking levels for cichlids is always based on maximum adult size of fish to be kept.

You could have all the filtration money could buy.....but that does not mean you can overstock an aquarium. You should be concerned w/ bioload....& also territoriality. Most SA/CA cichlids are very territorial......and compatibility is never guaranteed w/ cichlids.

Here's a website I use for stocking purposes. Punch in all your info & it will tell you what you can accommodate.

aqadvisor.com/

I would also recommend you obtain a copy of this book:

"The Cichlid Aquarium" by Dr. P.V. Loiselle. It's the cichlid keepers "bible", & will help you w/ cichlid husbandry techniques

Lastly, I would like to know who informed you or where you obtained this info:

" I heard after 100 gallons your options for stocking grow exponentially. "

Because regarding robust cichlids, & large fish in general, this statement is beyond wrong. No offense, but wherever you learned this from, steer clear....this kind of thinking, as far as fish-keeping techniques are concerned, will bring you nothing but disaster & heartache.

You want to know how to raise fish properly.....ask the members of this website.....our members will go above & beyond to ensure that you succeed. There are several people on this website that have multiple decades of fish-keeping experience, myself included(43+ years).....all we ask is that you apply what we can teach you so you will do well & your fish will thrive, which should be the goal of every hobbyist. B)

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

My oscar, Chaos, is in a 125 gallon with no other large fish and he does dominate it. He shares the tank with a 4 inch HRP and a small HRP fry I haven't caught yet. I'm considering adding a pleco but It will increase my 75% water change a week to 2, 75% water changes a week.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:I need help with stocking!

Regarding filtration: I currently have about 1500 gph running through my 125 with two canisters (3-stage Sunsun and Filstar XP-XL) and two HOBs (AC 110 and an AC 70). I currently have one oscar and a common pleco who seems to have maxed out at just under a foot. I change 90% of the water weekly and keep my nitrate levels at 20ppm or below.

My plan is to add another AC 110 and a sponge filter rated for a 125. I will then add one severum to the mix but am prepared to remove him if aggression levels get too high. I wouldn't imagine adding more than that and know that I will be pushing the limits of the bioload and compatibility. Oscars are messy territorial fish! So are plecos for that matter.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.152 seconds