Babies!

• Rogue_Violetta
  • Rogue_Violetta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta created the topic: Babies!

I have a video on its way, but I wanted to say something first.

Today, Thursday the 20th, my big guppy Mirtai gave birth. We have so far accurately counted 14 babies. Mirtai appears to be in good health, the babies are measuring 3-4mm, and are eating egg yolk infusoria like nuts. Mirtai has also been moved back to the main tank, where she seems rather happy- she does not like being on her own.

Mirtai had been demanding food twice a day, so we knew she was getting close, with her belly swelling, but unfortunately, missed the birth. They were not there during her morning feed, so were born sometime today.

And no, I haven't named any, lol. I don't even know who the father is yet!

For those interested in Buckley and Murphy- one is bigger than the other, both doing fine, but have only about doubled in size. Which, considering their early days, could be a lot worse.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Babies!

LOL..Baby guppies. That takes me waaaay back to my start in the hobby. Had a 15g with a dozen or so gups. Didnt take long to have a few hundred. I used to sell them to real nice fella that had our only lfs. One day I went in with a bucket full, saw a neat looking fish. Whats that I asked. Oscar he says. Traded my pail of gups for my first Oscar. Somewhere around 1969-70. Still at it all these years later.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Babies!

Congratulations!

I gotta ask....how are you going to determine the father?

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Babies!

Suprd71 wrote: LOL..Baby guppies. That takes me waaaay back to my start in the hobby. Had a 15g with a dozen or so gups. Didnt take long to have a few hundred. I used to sell them to real nice fella that had our only lfs. One day I went in with a bucket full, saw a neat looking fish. Whats that I asked. Oscar he says. Traded my pail of gups for my first Oscar. Somewhere around 1969-70. Still at it all these years later.

Haha funny how that worked out ! how old where you at the time?

Congrats on the babies also! always fun to breed fish no matter the species!

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 578

Suprd71 replied the topic: Babies!

ehall67 wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: LOL..Baby guppies. That takes me waaaay back to my start in the hobby. Had a 15g with a dozen or so gups. Didnt take long to have a few hundred. I used to sell them to real nice fella that had our only lfs. One day I went in with a bucket full, saw a neat looking fish. Whats that I asked. Oscar he says. Traded my pail of gups for my first Oscar. Somewhere around 1969-70. Still at it all these years later.

Haha funny how that worked out ! how old where you at the time?

Congrats on the babies also! always fun to breed fish no matter the species!

I was 8-9 back then. My oldest brother was big into fish, had Angels and Discus. I put my first Oscar in one of his tanks for a couple weeks, and he built me a plywood tank, around 60g as I recall. That Oscar lived 14yrs and was 14ins. My bro had good fish knowledge, as did the nice gent at the lfs, so fish got decent care. Nothing like today, but he did ok I think.

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Babies!

Man! thats a great memory!

I really hope my little brother has some good memories of me! we did argue a lot I'm going to text him now lol!!!!

and yes 14 years old when you got him at 8 I would say bravo !

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Babies!

OMG, babies! Congrats dude!

@purplecandle: Mirtai and her two lady friends were housed with two males that sadly passed away not too long ago, so it's highly likely the father was one of them. You never know with guppies, though. The females can store sperm from previous males and give birth multiple times from one mating so a male at the LFS could have done it, but the timing of her ballooning out and mating with those males Rogue owned lines up closely.

The males were wild-type guppies, so if there are any babies with wild-type colouration Rogue will know the answer :D

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: Babies!

Lammergeier wrote: OMG, babies! Congrats dude!

@purplecandle: Mirtai and her two lady friends were housed with two males that sadly passed away not too long ago, so it's highly likely the father was one of them. You never know with guppies, though. The females can store sperm from previous males and give birth multiple times from one mating so a male at the LFS could have done it, but the timing of her ballooning out and mating with those males Rogue owned lines up closely.

The males were wild-type guppies, so if there are any babies with wild-type colouration Rogue will know the answer :D

Thank you for that! I had no idea they were so naughty.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Babies!

Guppies are very naughty! Their mating system is dictated by female choice, so the males compete for female attention and the females pick the 'best' males to mate with. The male's aren't picky at all aside from a preference for bigger females, so you end up with the males mating with as many females as they can to maximise their chance of fathering offspring. Females can store sperm from a fitter male, so even if they mate with other males their offspring will still be fathered by the first one for the most part.

It's the main thing that drives the males to have such bright colouration in the wild (sexual selection). A male with brighter colouration is generally more 'fit' genetically speaking than one with dull colours, so having babies fathered by a bright male means there's a higher chance of them surviving.

I've always wondered how the artificial selection of all those colours in fancy guppies has affected their courtship behaviour. Wild-type males look like this: www.nature.com/nature/journal/v503/n7474/images/nature12717-f1.jpg and they're much healthier, and a lot more energetic when courting females.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Babies!

Did the 2 you found after the levamizole treatment make it ok? Were these 14 from one of those you treated?

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds