I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Hi guys! I know this is an Oscar Forum but I trust your knowledge and advice above others. Idk if anyone will remember I have often talked about a friend who has a pair of goldfish. Well for a while now one of them has been ill and she has finally turned to me for some advice. I will try and give you as much info as possible.

She has two fancy goldfish, one possible ya calico ryukin, and I'm not sure what the other one is (the sick one), in a 75us gal. She does weekly water changes of about 70% while siphoning gravel. I asked to to bring me a water sample in when we work together this Wednesday. In the past I've tested her water and it is usually 0ammonia 0nitrites and nitrates under 20.

The fish are fed some in the morning and some at night (goldfish flake) and she doesn't just dump them on top, she hold them under the water to release the food so the fish arn't getting a bunch of air as they eat. She occasionally gives them de-shelled peas, blood worms, brine shrimp, and I think that's it.

Ok, now for the sick one. She has had issues swimming off and on for a month or so now. We first noticed it when she was eating, she would swim up to the food and be eating then her tail end would float up and over her head until she was upside down. That had stopped and now she is on the bottom of the tank a lot. She will get up swim a bit then land back on the bottom, and since she has started that she has not eaten at all.

There is also a bit of red streaked in her fins. (I will post pics) . This is something that her and her tank mate has had in the past, I forget what it was called that they ended up having but she treated with erythromycin and it helped within a day or two. So she quarantined the sick one and did that treatment again, since the red streaks were back, and nothing changed, so she is back into the main tank.

Ok, I think I've posted enough info to get started. I'll post the two videos and 1 picture I have next. Let me know if I've forgotten anything! I hope someone will have some insight, this is a very loved fish.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Re:I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Ugh, having trouble with the videos. Give me a few more minutes on them, but this is supposed to show the red streaks, she said they weren't as bright today.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Link#1...I hope it works.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Link #2

• Thank you received: 41

purplecandle replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Funny I did research on this earlier!

Sounds like swim bladder. Give this a read and see if it sounds right to you.

www.kokosgoldfish.com/Swim%20Bladder%20Disorder.html

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Wow, that's lucky! That's what we thought it was sounding like, but it has seriously been about two weeks since she could get her to eat anything.

Now like I said, there are two fish in this 75gal, do you think it'd be ok to treat the whole tank or should the sick one be quarantined? As to the red streaks, someone suggested it may be due to stress, which the first would be understandably stressed, but is there any truth to stress causing that?

Edit: I also noticed that it says for fish sitting at the bottom it helps to lower the pressure. Again, with two fish this maybe an issue. She has an empty 10gal, could this be used as a quarantine tank/treatment tank? The goldfish is pretty large. So I'm iffy on that.

WAIT! I forgot the red streaks...I'll be right back!

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Lol alright! Thanks so much!

Sorry about that! The red streaks may mean Hemorrhagic Septicemia.

Here is some brief info (I can't find my book marked article)

www.ehow.com/info_8748128_hemorrhagic-septicemia-goldfish.html

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Ok, I believe I've seen some goldfish with this before. I'm not positive this is what this fish has, as I said in the past both got it and after two days of treatment with the medication I had mentioned it went away, and this time only one fish has it. If it was that it sounds like maybe both would have it?

Thank you so much for the help! I think we're spot on with the swim bladder but I'm not positive that is the reason behind the red streaks.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds