I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

• Thank you received: 195

jmunroe replied the topic: Re:I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Water change of 70% a week is probably not enough. Even if the test you did for her show the nitrates at 20 or lower, which I'm guessing is after the water change. Stuff like this will happen if feces is left in the tank all week. Especially from a messy customer like a goldfish. I would have her do more frequent water changes. Maybe 3 50% changes a week with a good vac each time. That will keep the feces and uneaten food to a minimum which will help a lot.

Go do a water change - the solution to pollution is dilution.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Re:I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Ok, I have her getting me water to test asap. So then we can see what it yields. Would the face that she hardly ever gets any waste (extra food, poo, etc) from the gravel when she does the weekly water change? I know this isn't always an indication of water quality, I just wanted to give you an idea of what comes out of the gravel when it is changed.

She just messaged me, she agrees with the thinking that it is swim bladder, however, she is concerned the fish has not eaten in front of her for quite some time, at least a few weeks. Any tips on encouraging her to eat? She has even offered her the peas that she used to love and no intrest.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

When I see a fish sitting on the bottom struggling to swim like that, I think swim bladder problems.

It may not matter now, but I'm curious about when you described the fish trying to eat and its tail elevating. Do you know if the fish looked like it was unable to swim strait? ... like it was swimming out-of-control?

Some use garlic and a supplement like Boyd's vitachem mixed with peas ... I've heared garlic is irresistible to fish. I've also heard of the use of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in similar circumstances.

I'll try to post a link for the above treatment if I can find it.

The epsom salt treatment seems to look at this as more of a constipation problem. The fish in this video was also not eating.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

That seems like it could be swim-bladder although the fish does not turn on its side or upside down, which is the clearest sign of SB issues. The red streaks are certainly worrisome. I have seen that before in my dad's fancy GF, but it has been a long time and can't recall off hand. I'll ask him and see what he says.

One thing that is certain is that the fancy golds like your friend has tend to move in a constrained manner in general. They are not built for speed or elegance per se, but the sitting on the bottom is worrisome. They are kind of freakish lab experiments and are typically very fragile fish overall.

See this vid of FG in a 180, similar movements.

Two medium sized fancy's in a 75 should be fine with enough filtration and say 75-90% water change once a week. As with oscars, the more the merrier. A medium-large sized canister and a large HOB should do the trick -- something in the neighborhood of 800 gallons/hour total.

What kind of filtration does your friend have on the tank?

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

UNC-CH wrote: When I see a fish sitting on the bottom struggling to swim like that, I think swim bladder problems.

It may not matter now, but I'm curious about when you described the fish trying to eat and its tail elevating. Do you know if the fish looked like it was unable to swim strait? ... like it was swimming out-of-control?

Some use garlic and a supplement like Boyd's vitachem mixed with peas ... I've heared garlic is irresistible to fish. I've also heard of the use of epsom salts (magnesium sulfate) in similar circumstances.

I'll try to post a link for the above treatment if I can find it.

Not really swimming out of control, I think. She'd just swim up to the food that was about mid level (as I said, we release food down in the tank to reduce them biting at the surface) and as she would stop to eat her rear would float up and around over her head to the point she was upside down and it would take her a minute to right herself. I'll suggest the garlic, would just fresh minced garlic work?

But I will send her info on the epson salt treatment. Is it ok to just treat in her 75 with the other fish still in there? I don't know if she has a spare tank big enough for a treatment tank.

And she has a pair of aqueon filters. I'll look up the ones exactly, if I recall right one or both of them have some extra bio media in them, such as ceramic rings, but I think they were slightly different.

But I'd like to thank everyone for the help! It's really appreciated!

Edit: she has two aqueon 55/75s.
Also, I think I have pictures and some videos on my desktop of the ill fish from a while ago, I'll have to look for them tomorrow.

This video is a little more to the point on the epsom salt treatment.

Yes, you can treat the whole tank with the other fish in it. It wont hurt the other fish or the bacteria in your filter. The standard dose seems to be 1 tablespoon per 10 gallons. Dissolve it in some water first and then pour it into the tank. Some recommend adding an additional tablespoon per 10 gallons if no improvement is seen after a couple of days. After a couple more days have passed, keep up with the regular partial water changes to begin to reduce the levels of magnesium sulfate.

I know you can purchase the garlic supplement at pet stores. I'm really not sure about the minced garlic -- I can't recall anyone trying that. The epsom salt can be found at most pharmacies and some grocery stores.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Alright! got to do the water test today. ammonia was 0-.25ppm nitrites were 0 nitrates were a scary 80-90 and ph was 8-8.2. That's also what her ph runs out of the tap. i alsi found out that she only has 1 50/70 aqueon quite flow. I'm trying to convence her to add a canister but she doesn't have the extra money to spens on one at the moment. so I'm giving her an aquatech 30-60 to load up with fluval bio rings (hoping this will help the nitrates some) i also found out she is only doing a 30% water change weekly . i told her to di as mich as she can. as i put it take the water down to where it hjust gives the fish room to swim. she said she is also going to di an extraobe through the week as well.

gah, I'm on a cell phone that doesnt let me type well so I'm going to have to edit this later. I'm sorry if its hard on the eyes.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Also, a question she kept asking me was if it was water quality why would only one fish be effected in such a way? What i told her was that thjs sick fish could just have a deformity or something making it more likely to have swim bladder issues and the stress of the water quality added to it. is this correct thinking??

Now we are starting the epsom salt treatment ment. i know its 1tbsp per 10gal (or so the video posted said) any tips for the treatment ment? I know for bettas its bestvto disolve the dose and add it slowly over 30min-1hr. then resting a day in the sol and on the 3rd day do a wc and retreat. well something similar anyway, my notes on that are at home.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Well, like most living creatures, some are just all around sturdier and healthier and others more susceptible to poor conditions as you say. But I am sure that the other fish would/will get sick soon enough if nothing is done about the water conditions.

You could point her to the Sunsun canister filters on Amazon. A three stager that pumps out about 260 g/hr (maybe) costs about 25$ plus shipping, so maybe 40 bucks total. Not the greatest canister out there, but would certainly help to improve things.

Good luck! You are a good friend.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds