I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

I will lopk that up asap! That is what she was prepared to spend on a extra hob filter sp she will be thrilled! Thabk you very much!
And aw thanks! I try! And she really cares about her fish too and doesn't mind the extra effort that people don't realize it takes to keep fish properly. she is just still learning, like us all.

thanks so much for your continued help. ill probably continue to podt my questions here as we treat the fish...just not drom my cell phone, I'm about to through this dang thing. lol

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

Here is the exact model that I was thinking of:

www.amazon.com/SunSun-HW-302-3-Stage-External-Canister/dp/B00892EN22

It comes with some filter media, but she might want to look up some DIY filter medias (such as plastic pot scrubbers) if there isn't enough to fill it. Lava rock, could also work and is relatively cheap.

Good luck.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Here is the one she ordered: www.amazon.com/HW-402B-4-Stage-External-Canister-Sterilizer/...e=UTF8&qid=1417659423&sr=1-5&keywords=sunsun+canister+filter

And here is some of the biomedia she got, she'll need more than 1 box so I'll suggest those scrubbers. I use those as well so I may have a few extra for her.
www.amazon.com/Fluval-Biomax-Bio-Rings-ounces/dp/B000HHSG5M/...plies&ie=UTF8&qid=1417659516&sr=1-1&keywords=Fluval+biomedia

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Huh, just noticed it has a UV Sterilizer. Didn't really need that. Whoops. Any thoughts on that feature?

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: I need some advice with a sick Fancy Goldfish!

I've never had any experience with UV Sterilizers and have wondered about the pros and cons. I'd like to hear what other members have to say on the subject.

Nyx wrote: Huh, just noticed it has a UV Sterilizer. Didn't really need that. Whoops. Any thoughts on that feature?

Like UNC-CH, I don't have experience with the UV Sterilizers or what it actually means. That canister is bigger than the one I suggested and I think you can take out the UV bulb. So I don't think there is any harm with this one.

A few issues with the Sunsun: 1. the instructions that usually come with the Sunsun are pretty pathetic, so feel free to ask questions here if you guys have any trouble. 2. Priming them is a bit of a pain and take some physical effort with the pump mechanism. 3. Make sure to secure the hoses properly and securely.

That said: I have had one running for six months without major issue. They are very silent.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Ok thanks! I'll start searching around for some tips. I promised her id set it up for her, hopefully she has wifi, so I can get on here when I can't figure out how to set it up lol.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Alright, I'm going over to see up my friends new canister filter tonight. This is the one she ordered... www.amazon.com/HW-402B-4-Stage-External-Canister-Sterilizer/...e=UTF8&qid=1417659423&sr=1-5&keywords=sunsun+canister+filter

Lately I've been super busy so I havnt been able to look up ahead of time tips on putting it together, so if you guys know of any helpful pages or videos could you please post them? I'm on the way out the door now for work or else I'd do some digging around.
Also what media do you suggest for it? I was going to load it up with bio rings and pot scrubbies. Do I need a filter pad or anything? The main goal is to get her nitrate levels under controll. Any help you can give me would be amazing! Thanks!

It should come with a couple of pads. I usually put them on the bottom stage rack and all the media on the top of that, but some like to put the finer white one on the very top.

Pot scrubbers are cheap, which is why I suggested them, though if she has any more money to spend then ceramic media is one of the best kind, such as from Fluval. I buy this sintered glass media in mine from GreatWave Engineering, but it is kind of expensive. ( greatwaveeng.com/product-category/media/ )

People also use broken pieces of lava rock, which I think can be relatively cheap, I haven't used it recently, but stuff is available. The LR especially made for aquariums is of course more: tinyurl.com/lavamedia

But here is 7 lbs of rock that could be used as media for about 10 bucks:
tinyurl.com/mb86p8m

Will see if I can find any links for setting up the Sunsun.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Ok thanks so much for replying! She has 1 box of thr fluval ceramic. rings and was going to buy at least one more. this looks likr it has 3 'buckets' to put media in. so i think. we'll get some pot scrubbers to and maybe a 3rd box of the rings.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds