The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

Now that Frank has his little Pearsei, I thought I would tell you guys the long twisted story of how I finally got my perfect Porkchop...

It really begins with this video....

When I saw that Pearsei playing with the magnet, I knew I wanted one.

I originally was going to pick up a pearsei from a local source years ago and when I got there his fish had hole in the head. He keeps his tanks in good condition and now that Ive raised these guys I know how susceptible they are to it. So I moved on looking for a different source and I got in on a group buy and got a nice 7" WC male, whom I named Frank (after old blue eyes) because he had bluish eyes.

Sadly I made a rookie mistake and placed the new fish into my main tank along with another WC fish (Argentea) without quarantine and I fought a terrible battle with a disease that to this day I am not sure what it was. Lesson learned and I now quarantine all fish before they go into established tanks.

After the loss of Frank and my big gentle 11-1/2" midas from that incident I wandered around in fishkeeping trying to find a fish I liked... so I kept Oscars, a gold severum, pike cichlid, a true parrot, and just about every vieja. I needed to find that one special fish. That was when I got little Porkchop from a friend in the fall of 2012. You can see her in the lower left sharing the tank with the BIG boys. This is a picture that I 'borrowed' from my friend.

You can see her awkward little self in the lower left...

Speaking of awkward... she went through a phase where she was really kind of chubby and not quite looking like a 'normal' pearsei. Just a normal phase in her growth. She was the perfect fit in my tank, exactly what I was looking for. A good community fish, friendly and social. Here she is a few months after I got her:

Yep she filled out quickly and was just an eating machine.

I got a hair-brained idea at the time that I might want to breed Porkchop so I was on the hunt for a nice male. I purchased three baby pearsei to grow out and was disappointed in what I received. These little guys showed signs of hole in the head, had torn fins that were never going to grow in right and were not specimens that would make good breeding stock. This is where I do have to give a huge thumbs up to Gage at Cichlid Connection. Since he had got these form another vendor and I had issues, he took care of me and sent me a nice male pearsei as a replacement. This one was 'different', very elongated in comparison to other pearsei. Extremely iridescent green, lots of spangling and always seemed in breeding dress. Also the meanest pearsei I had owned. Not a great community fish. I named this guy Kermit, (yes like the frog, because of the green):

Again tragedy struck and this fish ended up hurting itself on one of those glass in tank thermometers. It had shattered it and cut itself severely and soon passed away. Another lesson learned, no more glass in tank thermometers ever again.

After all this I decided to just let Porkchop be and just grow up the be the biggest, friendliest pearsei that she would be.

Sorry for all the talking just had one of those moments I wanted to share a little history on my little Porkchop.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DBLN8

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 218

DBLN8 replied the topic: The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

Great story D.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

thanks for sharing - pork chop went through so many phases.....gezzzz... i can see why you enjoy her so much

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

Very long road to get my Porkchop.

Thought I would also share this, the largest Pearsei I had ever seen pictures online, said to be an 18" beast!
www.arowanafishtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?39710-Vieja-pearsei

If I ever lost my Porkchop I would do it all over again but would look for a different catch location.
"Rio Lacanjah" Pearsei with an elongated appearance. Never have found one available since I have owned my Porkchop for the past three years.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

Great story david. If hulk is half of what porkchop is I will be happy. What does her diet look like ? Any tips you can give me on raising him ?

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

Great post. I think a lot of people can benefit from this story. It really does take some effort and perseverance to get/keep a really stunning fish.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I like Hulk as a name! Big and green, but not mean.

Just stick with the diet you have going. Some feed Romaine lettuce but I dont see the need and I dont feel there is much nutrition in that anyway. I like the Omega One Kelp pellets and Algae wafers, NLS would be good along with the new algaemax. I also feed Dainichi color supreme. Some shoot for this high veggi diet but I lean more toward an omnivore diet. Mine does get a treat of bloodworms on occasion.

So nothing too special in the way mine is fed.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: Re:The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

robham7770 wrote: Great post. I think a lot of people can benefit from this story. It really does take some effort and perseverance to get/keep a really stunning fish.

Thank you!

I feel many people give up on fish that are 'late bloomers' and get rid of them because they take too long to reach the awesome adult stage. Ive done it myself with a few fish. Many of the vieja are like that, in that they are slow to moderate growers and wont show adult like coloration until they are a couple years old. The pearsei is an 'ugly duckling' for sure but the process and wait are worth it when you finally get your adult.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:The perfect Porkchop, or how I finally got my Pearsei

The more I look at pics of pork chop the more im happy my son chose the pearsei. I was gonna feed nls reg/algaemax and omega one kelp/regular along with romaine and peas (from what I read in the net)
Also do you think the dark decor will leave him looking drab or enhance the green ?

I like porkchops steeper profile over the ones in the vid

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

If you look at the pics I posted you notice she was drab when my friend had her at about 5" on a lighter sand. I brought her home and had her on a dark gravel and she looked fine. You should not have an issue with your dark gravel.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.110 seconds