Looking for advice on Mystery Snails

• Nyx
  • Nyx's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16

Nyx created the topic: Looking for advice on Mystery Snails

Hi everyone, as usual I've looked around for some information but wanted to come back here and get you opinions!
I'm wanting to get 1 mystery snail, or as I think some of them actually are , Apple snails . Anyone here have any knowledge on these guys?
I had one in my 55 gallon for a while but sadly he died. I think he may have been picked on :/
So I am not putting on back in there. I do have 4 betta tanks but I did want to run the risk of the betta pestering the snail. I know it doesn't always happen but I've heard a few stories of bettas taking intrest in the snail and nipping at their eyes and such.
What Id like to do is to just set up a tank for a single snail.
Is there a minimum tank size? Would I need a filter?

What I was hoping I could do is use a tank I have laying around that is a 1.77gallon (with lid) and no filter. I would do as frequent as you think is needed water changes. Would this tank be large enough or should I buy the 2.5 gal I've had my eye on? Or am I complet out of the ball park on this one? Also, is a heater needed? With out the temp would probably be around 70F, as in could be as low as 65F and a few degrees warmer than 70.
Any thoughts would be awesome!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Nyx replied the topic: Looking for advice on Mystery Snails

I swear fish keeping turns into an addiction. I started out with 1 betta in a 5 gallon tank and now I have 7 tanks, and I'm watching this post like a nervous mother so I can see if it's a good idea to bring home a snail tomorrow and set up an 8th tank JUST FOR A SNAIL! Lol I've been watching them and getting attached, oops.

We need a fish keepers anonymous or something lol

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Looking for advice on Mystery Snails

I have 4 betta tanks too. :) I tried 2 snails in my 10 gallon planted tank with a betta (one mystery, one golden snail). Both snails died. The rest of the tank has been fine. I'm not sure what the problem was. The temp was around 77ºf, good water quality, high ph though (around 7.8). I think the 1+ gallon would be fine for a mystery snail. Wish I could be of more help.

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

Lol yeah 4 of my 7 are bettas, one being a divided 10gal.
Thanks for putting in your experience though, I've been a little upset my last one died, I was worried I didn't do something I should have or something.
I'm not sure if I'll bring one home tonight or not, I did get the tank set up yet, all I need to do is throw gravel and water in it but it makes me nervous bringing home something without the tank being set up..

• Nyx
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

So I've been looking around a bit more on these guys and came across this Website . Whoa, a 55gallon is recommended tank size here? Really? Wow. I know some can get large but wow.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.104 seconds