koi and cichlids for how long?

• jnet
  • jnet's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 182

jnet created the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

OK we were going to move so we scooped up some pond fish to move and put them in my spare tank. A ghost koi, shubunkin and 3baby crosses.

Now we are not moving, but I'm doing the living room up, I need to get a new carpet and will be getting a new tank. However this means moving the 2 tanks. I'm going to have to sell one tank and then put the second tank in the kitchen with all my fish in it.

Its going to be overstocked I think because along with the koi will be my JD, 2rafs, bn plecs and rainbow shark. Now I'm going to leave this move as long as possibly but I can't put the pond fish back yet as its too cold outside. Do you think this could work?

It might be only for a week or less but it could be up to a month.

I'm living my life, but not necessarily in the right order :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

How big are your koi?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL replied the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

How big is the tank and are the fish very big? The problem with carp is that they produce a lot of waste very quickly. Also, they are primarily cold water fish so putting them in a warm tropical environment is not always recommended. I think your question is really like saying how long is a piece of string, it's really impossible to say if it will work. Obviously if the tank is a small and there are lots of big fish then the answer will be no, you would just not be able to keep on top of the water quality and you'll probably lose some of them. If it's only for a short period of time then as long as you carry out a water change every couple of days and feed very sparingly and maybe you could be okay.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

jnet replied the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

About 7inch the baby 3 are about 3inch. The tank is 5foot about 100gals its 400 litres, JD is adult but he's a softy, I'm just concerned because cichlids are not meant to be with koi.

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

I just don't want to have to give up any fish, but I can't put koi in to the pond now not until it gets warmer. If I can get carpet down and new tank set up I'll be able to move tropicals out to their new tank. I'm hoping it will be for less than a week. Its so hard trying to work out how to do this with the least stress to all fish.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Do the koi normally live in the pond? I've never had carp before, however they are cold water fish and they should be able to withstand cold temperatures. The place I go fishing has various koi carp and they are perfectly okay

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

I wouldn't be too worried as long as it is not for too long. You could always put a divider in to separate out the JDs. Do you have an extra filter or two you could throw on there? If you double your water change schedule you will be ok for the short term. I have seen Koi kept with Mozambique mouthbrooders, though in a small pond setting.

Not ideal. Do you have any other options?

• jnet
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

Should i take a video to explain what I mean better?

These fish were in a pond but as my house is say 15 c moving them to a freezing pond now will kill them.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Since you only have the one carp which is relatively small, and you haven't got too many other big fish I think you will be okay for a short period of time. Koi are cold water fish and therefore do not require heated water. However, some people do keep their fish in heated ponds. How deep is your pond? In order for carp to regulate their temperature, especially during cold weather they need the proper depth of water, if your pond is shallow then they may have more of a problem during very cold weather, so keeping them inside is probably a good idea if this is the case.

However, they do produce a lot of waste, probably more than Oscars so you will have to do change the water on a regular basis, probably fairly large water changes, especially if your filtration is just bog standard and not over filtertrated

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: koi and cichlids for how long?

Hey J

Where did you pop up from,

Hows your nipper.

PM Me !!

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.112 seconds