Fishy Confessions

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: Fishy Confessions

Inspired by the derail caused by Poseidon, Robham and myself in the other thread.

While I think most of the regulars on here have this whole fishkeeping thing down pat, I'm betting that there are a lot of stories we can all share about things we've done wrong back in the early days of getting into the hobby, or just plain stupid things that you hoped no one would ever find out about that you can post here for the whole internet to see :evil:

I guess I'll go first.

1: I killed 10 guppies by accidentally only adding 20ppm KH to their water when setting up an experimental tank (needed to be 120ppm), sudden change in water chemistry = guppies go splat.
2: I've killed at least 5 guppies by them getting stuck in the lining of a net and being unable to extricate them.
3: I made all the newbie mistakes with the red devils in the lab - not enough water changes, inadequate filtration, so on. Added extra gravel at the recommendation of another scientist so they had stuff to move around - almost killed the RD when I stirred up the gravel when doing a w/c. I've got 4 RDs because I owe them a lovely retirement after all the crap I put them through in the lab.
4: Didn't wash my hands properly in the fish lab, ended up bringing home some bacterial infection (aeromonas most likely) that infected two of my SDs. Lost one, saved the other. That whole saga's archived here.
5: Kept Henry and 6 SDs in a 55 gal (only for 1 week but still, naughty me) after I got him. Didn't have adequate filtration on his 6ft at first either. '

I'll add more if I think of them :pinch:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Nice job on starting the thread, but you should not admit all your crimes in one post. I guess that is ok since if you continue keeping fish, you will surely have some new stuff at some point.

The fish crime I feel worst about was committed against a convict(fitting). My wife and I went to the lfs to get something, just before they closed on a Sunday afternoon, and I spotted a really stunning convict. The plan was to pick up whatever it was we needed and go to dinner, but I felt I really needed this little convict, so we got him. Well dinner stretched out for a while, and involved some beverages, but was really nice. We got home and forgot about the convict, which would not have been a problem if it was not 30F outside. As you guys may have guessed the convict did not make it.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

"Nice job on starting the thread, but you should not admit all your crimes in one post." I didn't admit all my crimes lol. I'll go into more detail about the RDs and the disaster that was me keeping the 'mystery cichlids' for a month or so when I can bring myself to type it out.

Ouch, that poor convict. Wouldn't have been a nice moment remembering you'd left it in the car.

Definitely an Ooh sh**! moment, that did not turn out very well.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Nice going Lamm! :evil:

I won't admit all my crimes here as there are too many, most stemming from when I was young and starting out in the hobby (at around 9 or 10 years old up until I was about 20 or so).

The one that comes to mind the most is an overstocked 50 gallon. I got this used, metal framed 50 gallon when I was 11 years old and decided it would be great to have large cichlids. So I got an oscar, a texas, a red devil, a salvini, a couple of JD's, and a pair of Mozambiques. I did have other tanks, but I swear at one point I must have tried all of them or various combinations of most of these fish in there together. Several of these fish died horrible deaths, but I did finally realize the error of my ways, more or less (at least as far as crowding and aggression) and I grew out the Texas and the oscar in separate tanks. The Texas was a beauty, but I eventually gave him to my lfs, run by an older friend of mine who was happy to take him. The oscar stayed with me to the bitter end, when he died at 10 yrs, when I was about 21 and I got out of the hobby until recently. I cringe at the thought of his condition at the time. I probably neglected him more than his 10 years of life suggest. Making amends for that now and am raising two beauties that are reaping the rewards of my guilt. :(

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

No that I've been keeping fish for a while I feel pretty bad about any fish I've ever rehomed :-/. I wish I still had them all. I guess that's a confession lol

Another one is, since I only take pictures of my fish at night, I end up giving them some food (makes taking pictures easier) but it's usually around 9 or so. I know I shouldn't but 1. I like feeding them and 2.its how's take good pictures lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Lammergeier wrote: I didn't admit all my crimes lol. I'll go into more detail about the RDs and the disaster that was me keeping the 'mystery cichlids' for a month or so when I can bring myself to type it out.

Ha. Ha. Looking forward to hearing more about your "mystery cichlids"

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

ehh wrote: No that I've been keeping fish for a while I feel pretty bad about any fish I've ever rehomed :-/. I wish I still had them all. I guess that's a confession lol

Another one is, since I only take pictures of my fish at night, I end up giving them some food (makes taking pictures easier) but it's usually around 9 or so. I know I shouldn't but 1. I like feeding them and 2.its how's take good pictures lol.

Not a very good confession Ehh. If that is the worst stuff you have done, then you are by far and away a better fish keeper than me. I mean that in a good way, I am glad you are still checking in here.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Of coarse! You guys have always steered me in the right direction.
When I started keeping fish I tried to take as much advice as possible so I don't think I made too many rookie mistakes.

Poseidon2.0 wrote: Nice going Lamm! :evil:

I won't admit all my crimes here as there are too many, most stemming from when I was young and starting out in the hobby (at around 9 or 10 years old up until I was about 20 or so).

The one that comes to mind the most is an overstocked 50 gallon. I got this used, metal framed 50 gallon when I was 11 years old and decided it would be great to have large cichlids. So I got an oscar, a texas, a red devil, a salvini, a couple of JD's, and a pair of Mozambiques. I did have other tanks, but I swear at one point I must have tried all of them or various combinations of most of these fish in there together. Several of these fish died horrible deaths, but I did finally realize the error of my ways, more or less (at least as far as crowding and aggression) and I grew out the Texas and the oscar in separate tanks. The Texas was a beauty, but I eventually gave him to my lfs, run by an older friend of mine who was happy to take him. The oscar stayed with me to the bitter end, when he died at 10 yrs, when I was about 21 and I got out of the hobby until recently. I cringe at the thought of his condition at the time. I probably neglected him more than his 10 years of life suggest. Making amends for that now and am raising two beauties that are reaping the rewards of my guilt. :(

I had a 30 gal saltwater with a panther grouper, lion fish, Picasso trigger, a couple of clowns and some damsels when I was in middle school. Not to mention the Oscar, Pacu, and pleco in a 20l,

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.127 seconds