Fishy Confessions

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

ehh wrote: Of coarse! You guys have always steered me in the right direction.
When I started keeping fish I tried to take as much advice as possible so I don't think I made too many rookie mistakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We need to see some red devil updates! Hope he is doing good.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 40

ehh replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

I'll be getting some new fish soon. I'll do an update on him when I get the new guys too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Poseidon2.0 wrote:

Lammergeier wrote: I didn't admit all my crimes lol. I'll go into more detail about the RDs and the disaster that was me keeping the 'mystery cichlids' for a month or so when I can bring myself to type it out.

Ha. Ha. Looking forward to hearing more about your "mystery cichlids"

I was given 4 'mystery cichlids' by the same uni as I got the RDs from as alternatives to use in my behaviour experiment. They were too small so I took them home, set them up (4 in a 3ft tank that was severely underfiltered). The tank cycled with them in it, poor things.

Turned out these 4 'mysterys' were Mozambique tilapia. They're on the blacklist in Aus and because both my uni and the other one knew I was housing them I wouldn't have been able to get away with keeping them on the 'down low' so I culled all four, buried them in the front yard then felt like absolute s*** for a while. Still do.

Felt even worse when I got into fishkeeping properly and realised that I took 4 fish, treated them like crap, poisoned them with ammonia then killed them. It was a harsh lesson on doing proper research into fishkeeping and not blindly listening to colleagues (good fish scientist doesn't necessary = good fish keeper), and a big part (in addition to joining OFL) of why I haven't made many rookie mistakes with my current stock.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

robham7770 wrote: Definitely an Ooh sh**! moment, that did not turn out very well.

Seriously, you should have brought him in with you and poured him a drink too. B)

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Thanks Lamm. I kept some Mozambique tilapias for a while. They are amazingly hardy creatures, which is likely why they are banned. They will breed under pretty much any condition. Sorry you had to dispose of them. I really liked mine.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

I really liked them too. Mine looked like that when they matured a bit. I know it's pretty stupid to feel as upset as I still do about those guys but I was really, really fond of them. If I could do it over again I would have kept my mouth shut and sneakily kept them in a much larger tank. I'm a total softie but I outright refused to cull healthy fish again after that.

robham7770 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Lammergeier wrote: I really liked them too. Mine looked like that when they matured a bit. I know it's pretty stupid to feel as upset as I still do about those guys but I was really, really fond of them. If I could do it over again I would have kept my mouth shut and sneakily kept them in a much larger tank. I'm a total softie but I outright refused to cull healthy fish again after that.

That really sucks, but you did what you had to do. Talapia are notoriously adaptive and disruptive to native biospheres. We have a local park that is stock full of apple snails and talapia from people releasing their pets. We actually have an annual snail round up there in hope of keeping them from spreading, but I am sure at this point it is a lost cause.

robham7770 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

While I was busy posting on dumb ass things to do in fish keeping, I overflowed my Dovii tank by about 20 gal. I guess you could say I topped off the tank, and may be well on my way to the top of the list.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Cool th read lamm
When I was a kid we had a 75 gal tank. With oscars, jd, pacu, royal pleco, rtc, gar, and im pretty sure a shovel nose of some sort....this gets much much worse. I then added two snakeheads things for the most part were ok until they reached about 6 inches holy crap it was a blood bath literally. Thise fish truly hate all life they dodnt even eat what they killed. After everyone was dead except the pleco they turned on each other. I then was introduced to the wonderful world of women and fell out of the hobby

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

I've got at least a couple. :whistle:

I found two impressive looking betta fish and bought them right away. I planned to house them in .5 gallon cubes for a day or two while getting the larger tanks ready. At the time I was unaware that the water from my tap had a pH of 8.6. Since they came from Durham, they had come from a pH of around 7.2 and gone into the cubes at a pH of 8.6. The next afternoon I noticed some white cotton-like growths on one betta. By that night it had tripled, maybe quadrupled in size so I treated him with an anti-fungal medication and decided to add a heater to his cube. I had a heater for 2-5 gallon tanks with an automatic cut-off. I placed his 5" cube in a dark room to keep down stress and put in the heater.

When I went in to check on him the next morning the cube was all steamy looking. I touched the outside and it was hot. The betta had lost his color and was just grey. I had cooked the poor little guy. The shut-off for the heater was a one-time emergency shut off, not a thermostat. :pinch: Still, it didn't shut off.

It's not all bad news though ... the other betta made it through and is currently doing well.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds