Fishy Confessions

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

@UNC: Just... holy s***. That's nightmare fuel, no offense intended at all but my god.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 4

roryson replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Hahaha these are classic!!

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Yeah, I feel bad for that betta. I wish I had known better.

• Thank you received: 4

roryson replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Its a learning curve UNC-CH I think i learnt everything i know about fishkeeping through doing it the wrong way first,

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Let's here 'em rory ;)

And UNC, I more meant my comment in the way that I just feel absolutely terrible for you. It isn't difficult to put myself in your shoes and imagine if that happened to one of my fish and... ugh. What a horrible thing for the betta (and you) to go through. Overstocking is one thing but heater failures just freak me out.

• Thank you received: 16

Nyx replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

Over my childhood years i/my parents kept a 40gallon tank. Originally it was home to 2 common goldfish and 1 common plec. The goldfish had baby's and only one made it. Eventually the gold fish died and we added an Oscar :( he was awesome and I miss him and feel terrible. He died after about 5 years during a power outage in the winter months that lasted about 2 weeks. The plec lived on and by himself untill he was 18years old and about two feet long. Idk how though, the water was only changed once if not twice a month and no water condidtioner or heater was ever involved.

That Oscar fish was so awesome, when Id walk up to the tank he would always stick his back out of the water to be petted. But he did inspire me to do it right when I got another one.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

When I kept fish in the 80's I used to 'clean' my tanks by completely tearing them down and washing all filter media and gravel with tap water and take the tank outside and wash it out with the garden hose. I did at least use a dechlorinator. I am still amazed to this day I was able to raise up a red devil to 12" and that I kept him in a 37H! :blink:

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Fishy Confessions

1. I unplugged the light on my kids 20ga so I could plug in Christmas lights, I forgot the entire month to feed them and I lost 2 guppies which I just discovered Sunday.
2. I constantly convince myself I need more fish in with Marshall even though I know he's at compacity.
3. I accidentally killed an entire tank of lionfish and live rock by dropping an entire open bottle of PH raise in the tank (I was 17, does this still count?)
4. My Mom never does water changes, and somehow all of her fish survive and thrive so I never say anything to her about it.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

DMD123 wrote: When I kept fish in the 80's I used to 'clean' my tanks by completely tearing them down and washing all filter media and gravel with tap water and take the tank outside and wash it out with the garden hose. I did at least use a dechlorinator. I am still amazed to this day I was able to raise up a red devil to 12" and that I kept him in a 37H! :blink:

This is a pretty lame mild confession. :lol: "I was fastidiously clean and attentive to my fish yet didn't understand the cycling process!" Oh noes! :P

37H is pretty small. What I kept my Oscar in to way back when.

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Fishy Confessions

Poseidon2.0 wrote: This is a pretty lame mild confession. :lol:

Okay then here are my worst two.

#1, after having been back into fishkeeping for about two years with a 25 year absence away from the hobby, everything was going well and I got cocky and thought I could keep anything. Granted the space was big enough for my stock but I bought two wild caught fish and introduced them into my 210g WITHOUT quarantine. Whatever parasite got brought in wiped out almost my entire tank AND cost hundreds in meds. I learned from that one and now no fish goes into an established tank without quarantine procedures.

#2 Glass thermometer in the tank with a large 10" male Pearsei. He broke the thermometer and cut himself up and died. Very tragic death and sad loss to what would have ended up as Porkchop's boy toy.

Those are my worst....

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds