Rescue Fish?

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: Rescue Fish?

On Sunday I went to a LFS nearby that had a new shipment of baby oscars. One of them was emaciated and very close to death so Mr. Lamm informed the worker, only to be told "Who cares it's an oscar *lol*" (that's verbatim btw). Needless to say not going back there, and the poor little thing died while we were debating whether we could rescue it or not. It probably shouldn't get to me as much as it did, but I've been dwelling on it since so am wanting to put $$ where my mouth is. That means I'm on the hunt for a rescue fish... and there are so many choices! (And I really hate people right now).

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/pascoe-vale-south/fish/fish-tank-and-stand-with-jaguar-cichlid/1069557247

I'm 100% sure that poor thing is stunted, but do you guys think it can be saved (and stunting reversed, hopefully)? If so I'm going to email them and ask how much for the fish alone. No f***ing way am I paying even close to that much for that size tank. Also, m or f? I'm hoping female but I'm thinking it's probably a male.

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/greenvale/fish/fish-tank/1067091155

This is just a mess.

and www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/deer-park/fish/cuckoos-pleco-interruptus-auratus-and-more/1069603200

This is even worse.

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/derrimut/fish/large-fish-all-mast-go-a-sap-all-must-go-to-a-good-home-/1069523086

Keeping a Jag with Africans... 'genius'. Also thinking this jag is a female, and I'm completely balking at the $70 asking price for the jag. God damn.

www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/melbourne-cbd/fish/6-foot-x-60cm-tall-x-45cm-width-custom-made-fish-tank-and-stand/1068829328

... I have no words.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

Go for the Jag. What is that? A 20 gallon? Ugh. Save him right now!!

You need more dark side fish and with the proper encouragement and care I am sure he will grow into a fierce devil. :evil:

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

I would try & get that 1st jag.....it's a good looking male.....I don't think it's stunted. Jags of that size should be around $40-$50 retail.

I would stay away from rescue Oscars....Jags are a tougher fish when it comes to sensitivity to bad water......I think the 2nd Jag is a male also.

Take the Jag.....they are in my Top 5 CA cichlid. Strong in The Dark Side...... :evil:

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 97

ernie replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

Another great lfs in our area!!! pity we have so many. It looks like the jag might be the preference does look surprisingly healthy. Probably need to enquire about the fish's history but looks good.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

get them all

get more tanks

Haku, I knew your were good.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

'Who cares it's just an oscar.' :pinch: The problem is that's the way most people feel apparently. At least that's the way it is in the states. People can get in trouble for neglecting their dogs or cats but the could literally torture their fish without any worries of consequences. I don't understand why people are like this. I remember many years ago on the show fear factor when people had to eat cockroaches. PETA came out against the mistreatment of cockroaches and made a big fuss. But when they were made to swallow goldish, I didn't hear a word from PETA. Why is it fine to treat an oscar like crap? I'll never understand it.

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

I love keeping fish but sometimes I almost wish I'd never gotten into the hobby; it's opened a pandora's box of animal mistreatment that, quite frankly, I was happier not knowing about.

I've emailed the person with the first jag asking if they'd be willing to sell the jag separately, and if so, how much. Hoping most of the $$ they were asking for was for the tiny tank.

If I can twist Mr. Lamm's arm we'll probably go for the jag, but sorting out a tank and filtration on such short notice will be a bit of a task. I have a 4x2x2 with a sump built into the back (120 US gal - the sump) I was intending to use for my smallest RD that we've had in the garage until we can get a chance to get someone out to help move it. However, for the water volume I'm very tempted to throw $$ at a new 6ft 125 gal and sell the 4x2 to recoup the cost (new 6ft 125 gal will run ~$220).

Really feeling for those poor severums, however. I'm surprised they've survived as long as they have.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Rogue_Violetta

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

I've dibbsed the O. We're doing some tank swapping here, so he/she can have my 4ft, which is bare min size for an O, and my community tank is being moved to Tera's tank, which is slightly smaller, until we get the 6ft fixed and get the filters and such. Not ideal, but better than what the poor guy has now!

This also means Tera's tank setup is on hold. So it'll be done quick, so our tanks can return to 'normal' as soon as possible. He really wants his Butterflies!

The O's name will start with M.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Rescue Fish?

Yes, I do have to wait for the GT.

Now, no more derailing :P

I'm so glad I'm not trying to choose one of those Jags... I couldn't do it. But the sevs! Could at healthy, happy fish all day, and you've got a knack for these fish, dude.

And yes, I hate people as well. And that same LFS... the owner once yelled at me over the phone for asking how much a certain fish was, because I was unsure about the type I'd asked about earlier, because I'd heard and read they were brackish, which had concerned me. And I didn't get a price on the fish.

Guess which fish I didn't buy? The ones I was concerned about.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

Lammergeier wrote: I love keeping fish but sometimes I almost wish I'd never gotten into the hobby; it's opened a pandora's box of animal mistreatment that, quite frankly, I was happier not knowing about.

I've emailed the person with the first jag asking if they'd be willing to sell the jag separately, and if so, how much. Hoping most of the $$ they were asking for was for the tiny tank.

If I can twist Mr. Lamm's arm we'll probably go for the jag, but sorting out a tank and filtration on such short notice will be a bit of a task. I have a 4x2x2 with a sump built into the back (120 US gal - the sump) I was intending to use for my smallest RD that we've had in the garage until we can get a chance to get someone out to help move it. However, for the water volume I'm very tempted to throw $$ at a new 6ft 125 gal and sell the 4x2 to recoup the cost (new 6ft 125 gal will run ~$220).

Really feeling for those poor severums, however. I'm surprised they've survived as long as they have.

Lamm it is tough. The other night when I was looking at the snakhead vids other vids would pop up like jag vs gt and what not I couldnt even watch them all I thought was these fish werent small so the owners cared for them fed them and nutured them how could you just watch them tear each other up...and laugh about it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.123 seconds