Rescue Fish?

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

@Frank: Yeah, it's horribly messed up isn't it. I made the mistake of looking at a bunch of RD videos on youtube when I first got mine... Wish I hadn't. Most were a RD fighting something else while people laughed in the background.

I know that LFS are a business, but I think what really gets to me is that they are so willing to admit that they don't give a crap about the fish they keep to potential customers. It's not so much the whole thing of 'oh how callous to say that to a customer' it's the fact that they are so comfortable saying that to customers because 99% of the time the customer will echo the same sentiment. If people had any problem with that sort of attitude the employees wouldn't express it, at least, not out loud. It's an eye opener...

But maybe I'm just weird. I'm as attached to my fish as I am to any other pets I've had or currently have and just can't fathom how people can invest so much money and time into keeping fish while simultaneously not giving two s***s about them.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

I don't understand it either. I'm already attached to my O, and he/she's not even home yet! I even have names! How can anyone just not care?

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Indeed :(

On another note, I'm waiting to hear back about the cost of the jag in the 2ft but he is available. I also found another ad where someone is selling a jag and freddy (amongst other things - another overcrowded 6ft tank with fish in horrible condition - is there any other kind on gumtree?). Want to sell both for $130 - sending me pics tomorrow. The jag's over 30cm apparently but... we'll see. Said he'd sell the jag alone for $100, so $30 for the freddy really isn't bad (they're rare as down here).

Measuring space in the spare room (Fish Room A lol) we've got enough space for a rack with a 5fter on top, 4ft below. This means the largest tank I could do for a male jag at the moment would be a 5x2x2, but due to money constraints a 5x18 would be a lot easier to get set up (and convince Mr. Lamm to go along with).

This is why I was hoping that jag was female. I don't know how quickly male jags grow but I'm concerned a 5ft 90 gal isn't going to be large enough for a male for any significant length of time. Thoughts?

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

Get the freddy. It will only need a tank with a 18" width, and will be fine for life in a 90g.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

I don't want you to be right but I think you're right. I don't want to take on a fish I'll end up with no room for. The only thing that's giving me pause is the fact the first jag's currently stuck in a 2ft tank.

I'm guessing it would be a different story if I was able to get my hands on a 5x2x2 or a 6ft 125 gal (for the smaller 7" jag, not going for the one that's 30cm+). I'm still waiting on pics of the Freddy (and a price for the first jag) so I might be getting ahead of myself anyway.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Got a response back from the person with the jag in the 2ft - they want $90 :pinch:

The only way I could think to make a male jag work would be to get one small enough that it will just be reaching the size where it needs a 6x2x2 when Ganbie gets his 8ft. I'd be looking at a time frame of 6 months - 1 year where the jag would need to be in a 5x18. If a 7" jag won't outgrow a 5x18" in a year then I'm very tempted to try and talk them down to a reasonable price. If not, then no male jag, sadly. I haven't heard from the seller that had the jag in with the Africans.

Still waiting on a picture of the Freddy. The seller is being a pain and 'forgot' to take photos, apparently. If I don't hear back from them by tomorrow then I think I'll consider that one a write-off. I'm not going to buy a fish without seeing what it looks like first.

I contacted the seller with the severums - 2 left, wants $30 each. The problem is they're over 2 hours away, and I don't think they're in good shape. Do you guys think they'd survive a 2 - 3hr trip?

Finally, saw an ad for a JD. Looks like it's male, looks like it really needs some TLC. Think it'd be worth trying to save this guy? www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/alfredton/fish/jack-dempsey-split-gene/1068246326 I should be able to talk them down to $20. Something JD size would be a lot easier to accommodate for me than a jag.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:Rescue Fish?

A healthy severum could easily make the trip for two or three hours. They will likely be ok so long as they are not on death's door already.

A 5 x 18 inch seems like it would be big enough to house a jag for 6 months to a year. How long was it? Vast improvement over 2 feet, to be sure,

I also like the JD. Can you take them all in? That's a lot of new fish.

btw, did you get the pm I sent regarding Rapps a couple of days ago?

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

Severums- Esky and an airstone be helpful?

JD- Think you can do it?

I guess it comes down to- what can you do, and which are more likely to be saved?

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

@Ben: Judging from the pics and the fact they're in with a Saratoga (think it's a Jardini) I really don't think they're overly healthy, which is why I'm concerned. The jag is 7 inches long... and I like the JD too and it seems in dire need of TLC, poor little buddy.

I could take on 2 more tanks as far as space goes, but that would literally max out any space we could put fish. I've got one tank ready to go (4x2x2 with inbuilt sump) complete with filtration + heating + deco that could take one of the 4 options, though probably not suitable for the jag as it's a 4x19" footprint... someone feel free to chime in on that. It would be fine for the sevs or Freddy though, I know that. I'd put the JD in Mittens' 55 gal and put Mittens in the 4x2 if I got the JD instead of the other options.

For a second tank, I'd have to go whole new setup - tank, filtration, heater. I can afford to do so, but am debating using the money I would need to set up the second tank on the smaller RDs instead. Mittens in particular would do well in a larger tank. He isn't near the size where he is outgrowing his 55 gal, but still... something to consider.

Yes, I did get your PM, sorry for not replying! :pinch: have you heard from him yet?

@Rogue: yeah, that was the idea, but I'm more concerned about the stress of the travel than anything else. A JD would be easier to accommodate than all the other options, but it's not a new ad so I don't know if he's still there. Waiting to hear back.

Edit: As much as I wish I could take them all on it's just not possible :( in fact, judging by Mr. Lamm's reaction to the whole idea today we may well end up not taking on any of them. It's not going to be an impulse buy by any means, mainly just weighing up the options, putting out expressions of interest at the moment.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked

I know the feeling dude. I want to rescue them all too! But I can't :(

Tera is building a filter in the shed atm, for his tank. I think. As soon as he can, it'll be put on with my canister filter to try and cycle faster.

We got word today that the O is definitely mine. :D I just have to stop saying 'she', but Tera says 'he' so we're kinda balanced atm.

I just wish I could rescue a few more :(

I'm really looking forward to M being here. I want to know about personality, quirks, everything, lol. And hopefully, growth occurs, as M looks a little stunted. This is one gorgeous fish I fell in love with just seeing the pic! Stay tuned for a big thread from me next week sometime!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds