Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

• UNC-CH
  • UNC-CH's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH created the topic: Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

This is a picture of a betta I had that died within a couple days of my getting him. I first noticed a little fuzzy spot about 16 hours before this picture was taken. It spread fast and he died shortly afterwards. He was in a .5 gallon cube while I was preparing his tank. There was no heater or filter, so the water was probably under 72ºF and was not well oxygenated. He had also undergone a large pH shift. From the descriptions I've read, I don't believe it was Columnaris like I had thought before but Saprolegnia. Any ideas? ... What does this look like?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

I will say, this is not what my Angelfish have. The fungus or fuz, looks totally different. I don't think this was columnarius. BUT I could be SO wrong! Lol

• Thank you received: 163

tehmole replied the topic: Re:Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

it looks like Columnarius ... but def some kind of fungal infection...take a look at this:

www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=73332

• Thank you received: 187

DMD123 replied the topic: Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

Sorry for the loss. :(

Tough to identify with the naked eye. A microscope and a bit of knowledge and we all could figure it out. But many times its just a guess. I have been dealing with a fungus looking thing with my Oscar and tried the treatment for Columnarius with Furan 2 and Kanaplex along trying a round of 'Fungus Guard' with salt and have had zero success. I am now trying Triple Sulfa treatment.

I have dealt with Columnarius succesfully a few times when it showed up as 'duck lipps' in cichlids but that involved some hard core force feeding of the meds into the fish.
The following user(s) said Thank You: UNC-CH

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

DMD

What's your PH? Triple Sulfa works best in a ph of 7.5 and higher.

Fungus Guard and Furan 2 have the same ingredients with the only difference being methylene blue in furan-2 and potassium dichromate in Fungus guard

PH at 7

It seemed the first treatment process of Seachem parasite gard had the best results in slowing down the process of it speading. Went for about a week of that before I then tried the FG alone at first and then did a further round of treatment with the Furon 2 an Kanaplex combo. Cant remember which but I also had added malachite green to part of that treatment process. been at this for over a month. Fish acts fine with no flashing or loss of appetite.

I am currently using the triple sulfa and Seachem parasite gard in a combo.

Forgot to add that I did salt treatments and nothing.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

Did you try s 5% salt dips every day?

5% salt dip = 10.5 tablespoons per gallon, keep fish in water until fish uncomfortable, and repeat everyday f or 1 week.

I did not do the dip/bath treatments. I tried for a bit less stress by just treating the tank water. I had the concentration at 2 Tablespoons per gallon on the tank water and not seeing any improvement. I am getting to that point where I may resort to more aggressive treatment since this has been going on so long with no success. The fish eats like a champ and is healthy otherwise.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:Columnarius or Saprolegnia pic

Wow david I didnt even know you were having this issue. Good luck
The following user(s) said Thank You: DMD123

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds