The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

So this one is dedicated to those fish you almost got rid of but now are glad you kept.

For me it was my Weeksii bichir. It was a WC purchased at 7" and it was very shy an elusive in the 72g bowfront growout tank. As soon as I moved it into my 210g I noticed a huge change in the fish, while it is still just a log at times it really is cool when it is out swimming. It looks nothing like the traditional fish and everyone who sees it always has to ask what it is. It is now pretty outgoing and will swim around and make itself very visible.
Here is Nessie (like the Loch Ness monster), she is about 12" now

So what fish did you almost get rid of but glad you now kept?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

It would have been dory my yellow acara. My son wanted another fish so I gave him a choice on who had to go. I wanted him to learn about stocking levels and creating a healthy environment for HIS fish and the fact that you can always get what you want but we ended up keeping her anyway (thanks to some of you guys) and I couldnt be happier. When we first got dory she was a little shy... no hiding but not very interactive. My daughter was a little over one at the time walks over to the tank and dory swimms right up to her wagging her tail...funny thing she still does it. Anyway thats her story

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

I have a few I regrets of not keeping some, but nothing that got away. The ones I gave up I felt like I had to at the time. I know this is not in keeping with the intent of the thread, but I wish I still had these.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

I actually considered getting rid of my yoyo loaches at one point. I'm so glad I didn't. They're the biggest characters, and have really gotten more interactive since the gourami's and guppies were added.

That said, one of my females went on a territorial rampage when we had to move the fish out of the tank overnight when redoing the stand. Killed my smallest yoyo, Zelda. Considered getting rid of her for that, then realised it would be a bad idea. She's still not dominant, but they do that when things change and she was following normal behavour. Feel guilty thinking about it though!

And I still feel guilty giving my kuhli's to a LFS, that had a tank for these cases, that had better conditions. It was heartbreaking watching them try and burrow in gravel though, and not good for them. But they're in a tank that has a mix of substrates, and they get them in now and then, but if they come out, people can see them with the others. They're not for sale.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

robham7770 wrote: I have a few I regrets of not keeping some, but nothing that got away. The ones I gave up I felt like I had to at the time. I know this is not in keeping with the intent of the thread, but

I have tons of pics of fish I did rehome that I kind of wish I didnt. I might have to start up whole new topic on that one. :blink:

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

DMD123 wrote:

robham7770 wrote: I have a few I regrets of not keeping some, but nothing that got away. The ones I gave up I felt like I had to at the time. I know this is not in keeping with the intent of the thread, but

I have tons of pics of fish I did rehome that I kind of wish I didnt. I might have to start up whole new topic on that one. :blink:

Lol, yes that would probably be a heavily posted thread. Sorry I was looking at some old pics, and ran across that one. I have considered getting rid of both Ben(Midas), and Morgoth(Dovii) many times, but I just can't.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

I miss my old midas. I tried a ton of other amps and never found a fish that was a s calm as my old fish. I still kick myself for the stupidity that caused me to lose him. I added two WC fish into an established tank without doing a quarantine. :( Porkchop was my midas replacement.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

3/4 of my RDs I've ended up with not because I wanted 4 red devils, but because I just couldn't bring myself to part with them.

Only wanted the biggest one (Daisy), then felt obliged to take Mittens (the one I used in my behaviour experiments), then couldn't bring myself to say no to the other female (Destructo)... then swore no more. Then, the one remaining in the lab was acting so out of sorts and unwell I was like "ok I'll bring it home, rehab and rehome" then it started doing this happy flappy dance when I walked past the tank and... :blink:

robham7770 replied the topic: The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

DMD123 wrote: I miss my old midas. I tried a ton of other amps and never found a fish that was a s calm as my old fish. I still kick myself for the stupidity that caused me to lose him. I added two WC fish into an established tank without doing a quarantine. :( Porkchop was my midas replacement.

I half halfheartedly offered Ben out for adoption once, I am glad no one else likes to get bitten. Nessie is a really cool fish, you should show her more often. I think you and AZsteve are the only regulars here with bichir.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: The one that almost got away or fish I almost got rid of...

I almost got rid of Mr. P my pleco, but didn't 'cause my son loves him and he is part of the family. :lol:

Think he has to be nearly a foot long now. Really hope he stops growing. He is about 4 years old now.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.105 seconds