The Stupid You've Seen/Heard/Been Told...

• Rogue_Violetta
  • Rogue_Violetta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta created the topic: The Stupid You've Seen/Heard/Been Told...

I'm sure we've all got tales of stupid, whether it be from a friend, a family member, yourself, or even happened in front of you. This is a place to tell those stories.

When I got my new fish for my 4ft tank all together, I showed them off to anyone who came over. I'd upped my yoyo loach count to six, had gotten three gourami's, and three guppies. Nicely populated, everyone was happy and swimming and clamouring for attention.

Then my mother turns to me and says "You should get an Oscar. They look good in community tanks. Remember the one at Gary's?"

I saw some kind of colour and went off at her, not only for suggesting it, and informing her why it was a TERRIBLE idea, I also told her how much of a %$#@ her ex was.

She changed the subject pretty quickly. Now she 'reminisces' about certain fish instead.

I also have to say that said ex's tanks were a story of stupid alone. Said Oscar was one of two babies that were bought, and put into an already overcrowded 3ft-ish tank. Scissortail sharks, swordtails, mollies, guppies, fish I can't remember the name of, all in one tank. Add in two O's.

One killed the other and got put in the 'renegade' tank. Yes, this guy was such an idiot about researching, that he had aggressive fish put into tanks that then went on to kill other fish! And stuck them all in the same tank afterwards! That O probably never got above 5 inches (He was slightly bigger than my hand as a kid) in all the years I knew him.

Looking back, I realise that the LFS they went to often wasn't "Nice enough to keep good looking fish aside". They just knew they'd make a sale when he walked in to buy more fish (quite possibly because some died).

What about you guys? What stories of stupid have you got to tell?

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: The Stupid You've Seen/Heard/Been Told...

"Who cares, it's just an oscar /lol"

"Oh if you're keeping an oscar you should get some Africans to go with it as dithers. Water parameters don't matter I keep all my fish in the same water and they breed like rabbits." Both from the same LFS. The latter was advice I got on tankmates to go with Henry when I was looking into getting an oscar a long time ago.

"If you get an oscar in a 6x2x2 your only options are to a: keep it alone with dithers, or b: controlled overstocking to spread out aggression. If you just put one other cichlid in with it the O will kill it. I suggest getting a couple of severums, a chocolate, a bay snook, and [insert something else I forget. Also remove any decor so they can't establish territories, it'll cut down on aggression" - a mod from a forum I joined before I found OFL.

I'm sure I've got more, they're just a few that come to mind... unless you want to count the LFS that had Adie before I rescued her, the idiots on Gumtree whose ads I've been responding to, who won't reply to me even though I want to BUY something from them, not SELL something to them. FFS. :pinch:

Edit: Wilma if you've got a problem with Rogue's relationship with her mother take it to pm. This thread isn't the place for... that. Let's stay on topic.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • Rogue_Violetta's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: The Stupid You've Seen/Heard/Been Told...

Oh, that idiot at the LFS... that poor little O. :( I'd like to slap them silly for how they treat their fish stock, and customers. Did you know one of the tame birds for people to play with had a ring of feathers missing around it's neck, that certainly wasn't from moulting?

What about the goldfish lady you told me about a while back? Would she count?

P.S. Wilma, I have sent you a pm, replying to your post, quoting it for reference. I see it has since been removed. If you're ever in the country, I'll take you to meet the gang. You can then decide whether or not I was a bit harsh on you. Perhaps I should also remember not everyone the world over understands our references, for which I apologise.

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.122 seconds