What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

• Lammergeier
  • Lammergeier's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier created the topic: What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

Those who have seen my previous thread would know I've lost my mind and am filling up what's left of my house with rescue fish.

I have to choose between 2 severums or a JD + Robertsoni (pics attached below).

The severums are 3 years old and housed in a 6ft with a 57cm Arowana. The JD and Robertsoni are around 12 months old, and currently in a 6ft tank with 3 Dovii and 2 Flowerhorns (no, not a typo) and are around 12 - 14cm long.

Sevs:

JD/Robertsoni:

I had decided on the severums but with the new info on the JD/Robertsoni I'm back to square one. Mr Lam's put his foot down so both is just not a realistic option... for now, at least.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

Sevs, Sevs, Sevs, Sevs, Sevs, Sevs, Sevs. . . . :lol:

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

x2 on the sevs

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

Ben I know your bias :P but any particular reason for the sevs guys? Better chance of saving them, do you think, or just prefer sevs to JD/robertsoni?

• Thank you received: 266

daddadoo7 replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

Robertsoni....less common

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

I have a JD pair, and they are just not my favorites. I don't know anything about the Robersoni, so that is up in the air. I look at the sevs every time I am at the LFS and have to walk away. I think if you want to pursue the crazy notion of adopting other peoples problems(no offense intended), it might be wise to go with the more community type fish. That way if you want to rehab and re home it might be a bit easier. If I was going to adopt a dog, I would choose a lab over a pit, chow, dobie, etc. I may be missing the point, but my 2cents.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

robham7770 wrote: the crazy notion of adopting other peoples problems(no offense intended)

I completely disagree with that viewpoint on buying a previously owned fish vs. buying new, but no offense taken. I don't think taking on a rescue is really doing that at all, but I can see where you're coming from with it.

Anyway, if the goal was to rehab and re-home I'd just get both tbh. Only willing to take on fish I will be able to keep permanently. No intention of integrating them into my pre-existing tanks either so compatibility is only important as far as their compatibility with each other is concerned.

I'll keep what you've said in mind, though. If anyone else has any thoughts I'd love to hear them.

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

They all seem worthy of saving. The list of fish in need of rescuing is endless, unfortunately. We can't save them all. It is a difficult choice here. You might want to go with the younger fish, if you are basing your decision on chances of survival alone. I personally would go with the Sevs because I prefer them to the other two species. They do not belong with an Arrowana. With the other two you are likely going to need two separate tanks, where as with the Sevs you can likely house them together. But whatever choice you make will be a good one. :)

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

I don't think a previously owned fish is the same as an ailing poorly kept fish. My Midas and Dovii were previously owned, and probably kept as well or better before I got them. I applaud your effort, but I would have to see those fish in person to make a call about them. You will probably end up with something amazing if you keep looking, and I look forward to it. I know Dave and others have made some amazing rescues, and I think they got a lot out of doing it. I also know you have the skill set to take this on, and wish you all the success in the world.

• Lammergeier
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

Lammergeier replied the topic: Re:What to choose - Severums or JD + Robertsoni

You raise a good point about the compatibility of the JD/Robertsoni. They've been housed together without issue apparently, but a change in environment could easily change that.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.126 seconds