long term effects of stunting

• Thank you received: 40

ehh created the topic: long term effects of stunting

so at my lfs they have a green terror that is about an inch long, skinny and black for the most part. its been there for several months and no change in size.

is it likely that this fish will never hit expected adult size?

my syno cat, which was in the same boat has maxed out at about 6" and its easily 3 years old. which leads me to think that it does have long term effects being in stressful conditions at a young age.

i would like to bring it home. my 45 gallon it basically ruled by my barbs lol i would something else in there and i would like to provide this poor fish with a proper home. but if any of you guys think it has potential to hit max adult size i will not buy it because itll be a couple years before i can size up the tank. ALSO my gf wants me to bring it home, so any fish i add that she likes is a winner haha

would anyone like to chime in on this?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 185

Lammergeier replied the topic: long term effects of stunting

If I were you I'd go for it even if he/she does have the potential to hit max size. Healthy GTs grow quite slowly as it is, and if female a 45 gal would do her for life even if she did hit max size, I think. Females only hit around 8" max to my knowledge.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ehh

• Thank you received: 254

DRACO replied the topic: long term effects of stunting

fish that had been kept in a small tank for a year can easily recover and gain growth once put in a god tank size. i had kept a pangasius in a 20 gal tank that he outgrow (could not turn around)... but when i release him in my 220 gal tank, it grows fast enough same size with the big one i have in there...

i believe with your care, it can recover the full potential size...

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: long term effects of stunting

The growth of my oscar would seem to support what DRACO stated.

Because of very poor water conditions during his first two months, a bad case of ick, and poor water conditions during the following four months, he was only 8" long after a year. Now, 6 months later and after a year of living in good water conditions, he's approaching 12".

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: long term effects of stunting

Long time issues of stunning is organic damage that shortens the span of live.

Here you can't compare pangasius to cichlids. In very bad cases of stunting the fish starts to deform and gets an v shaped spine.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: long term effects of stunting

toom wrote: Long time issues of stunning is organic damage that shortens the span of live.

Here you can't compare pangasius to cichlids. In very bad cases of stunting the fish starts to deform and gets an v shaped spine.

Not necessarily true about organ damage and shortened lifespan. I have raised stunted a school of 6 Corydoras aenus who never got past 2" total length to 15-19 years, and a stunted common pleco (11" total) to 21 years before rehoming. None had a V-shape spine.

With regards to the GT, I have one that didn't seem to grow under stressful conditions for the first 6 months, and once the environment no longer became stressful, I saw an explosion in growth and it's average size now for a male.

Bring it home. Several months of no growth is not that long.

ehh replied the topic: Re:long term effects of stunting

So it can still reach its potential. That's what I was afraid of though. I don't want it to be male and have a growth explosion in my little 45 gallon tank.
Thank you guys for your input! Always a ton of help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re:long term effects of stunting

I wouldn't worry about it being male. You would have at least 1 year to see if it is male or female, and if it is male, it should be okay in that tank until around 9" (maybe 3 years from now to reach that size). So go ahead and make the GF happy

ehh replied the topic: Re:long term effects of stunting

I'd make me happy too. Well now I have no choice but to buy it :-p

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.135 seconds