Axolotl?

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Axolotl?

I'd love an axolotyl. I did some reading up on them, and they can be a bit cannabalistic. I'd only keep one for that reason alone, lol. We had some at one of my high schools, and one chowed down on the other.

I've always loved them, since I was a kid, and following my mother on her Avon runs, and the school principal's wife loved how I was fascinated by them. She let me hold them a few times, but they had to be just under the surface.

Tera says I can't have one :(

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Re:Axolotl?

My solution for a problem like this does not work for everyone, but get a new tank to house it in. i wish people would stop posting about things I don't have, I am at my limit, and seeing stuff like this just makes things worse.

• Rogue_Violetta
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Thank you received: 25

Rogue_Violetta replied the topic: Re:Axolotl?

robham7770 wrote: My solution for a problem like this does not work for everyone, but get a new tank to house it in. i wish people would stop posting about things I don't have, I am at my limit, and seeing stuff like this just makes things worse.

You don't need a hallway or anything. :P Get a tank for one! :P

Keeper of the Food Pellets of Malekith the Never Accursed, Lover of Bubbles and Airstones, and Beloved of the Rogue Violetta.

Throw yourself in- use the wrong words, try different foods, kiss random fish. It's an adventure!

• Cobweb-Forests
  • Cobweb-Forests's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2

Cobweb-Forests replied the topic: Re:Axolotl?

Thats what I read rogue, about them being cannibalistic if I was getting one it would be alone :)

• Thank you received: 4

noodle replied the topic: Axolotl?

We had two axolotls when I was a kid, they lived together in a tank without ever showing any cannibalism. I don't remember the size of the tank, it seemed very large back then but was probably way too small. We didn't do anywhere near enough water changes from memory and when we did we would try to wash the gravel and scrub the sides of the glass.

They lived a bit over 10 years, they spawned heaps of times. We could never get the tiny tadpoles to survive inside no matter how hard we tried. They would live a few weeks and then die. So one day we tipped their eggs outside into a container that held water and they hatched and somehow survived in that. The outside ones were never fed, had no filtration etc, it was just a container that held water from an overflow from the water tank. I assume that they ate a lot of insects. They did not live quite as long as the parents but grew larger than the parents. Over winter they would have an inch of ice over the top for a few weeks at a time, over summer the water level would sometimes drop a bit. I feel very guilty about how poorly they were treated, but back then I was young and didn't know what I was doing.

I guess I am trying to say that they are a lot more hardy and forgiving than you would think. I am certainly not suggesting anyone try to keep them like this. I wish I had those axolotls now, I would treat them ever so much better.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.094 seconds