What if you had no Oscar?

• DMD123
  • DMD123's Avatar Topic Author
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 187

DMD123 created the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

So I have been dealing with this terrible illness with my Oscar now for about two months and just have not been able to kick it... so it made me think of what I would do without an Oscar :( (Kind of a Matrix, 'there is no spoon' moment :blink: )

So a 75g available, would I get another Oscar or go a different way? What would you do?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

Go a different way and put in fish that thrive in tanks with no heaters, Paratilapia polleni and Herichthys cyanoguttatus come to mind

• Thank you received: 11

toom replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR8qgT0k8rZu6lX2MgvQWyODYaRfqbHVQSm0U5GMqyKKrCMkoa3TQ

Small Channa breeding pair.

Or an breeder tank for an schooling fish like rainbow shiners.

For me i already have a group of Channa stewartii ;)

I am also for the no heater fish, for example i keep since years my own strain of live bearers and shrimps without heater and 5 months outside also 1 channa and 2 Cryptoheros tanks with no heaters. Only the Oscars still have a heater inside the tank and For them i was like very short before to give up on them and go for an bigger snakehead pair like Channa auramanticulata

One of the most sexy subtropical (no heater) fish there is but needs bigger tanks starting 150 Gallons for a pair and they are real predators.

knowed an idiot keeper that put one of this with an male Jaguar cichlid at the same size while channa was close to 16 inches and Jag about 14.5. One night was enough that the Jag had an bitten off lower jaw and ripped off eyes.

So you know there kind of aggression level if they are able to kill an big Parachromsis managuensis.

• Thank you received: 196

UNC-CH replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

That's easy ... if something happened to my oscar I'd get another one. If I had to get another fish other than an oscar, I'd really want a jag, which would need a bigger tank than a 75 gallon. I'd consider a tank like Frank's ... love the metae and rainbow fish. I'd also like to have a 'porkchop' :) but again, I'd need a bigger tank.

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

Been thinking if something does happen where Chunk may not be around I have considered the possibility of something in the Parachromis family but not a Jag (too big) but possibly a friedrichsthalii. I had some what was given me as loisellei a while back but they may have been freds, anyway interesting fish that I would consider again. Or another Oscar... but likely not a Bumblebee since Rapp's has none at this point.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:What if you had no Oscar?

L200, and a JD pair

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: Re:What if you had no Oscar?

JBare wrote: L200, and a JD pair

What kind of JD pair? Regular,Electric blue, Electric Pink, Gold....

• DMD123
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder

DMD123 replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

I have to say after I got my Bumblebee I was down in Portland and stopped by Wet Spot and saw some astronotus crassipinnis and would have bought on in a heartbeat if I did not have Chunk already. They dont currently have any of those in stock right now.

• Thank you received: 56

JBare replied the topic: Re:What if you had no Oscar?

Electric pink

• Thank you received: 160

Poseidon2.0 replied the topic: What if you had no Oscar?

DMD123 wrote: Been thinking if something does happen where Chunk may not be around I have considered the possibility of something in the Parachromis family but not a Jag (too big) but possibly a friedrichsthalii. I had some what was given me as loisellei a while back but they may have been freds, anyway interesting fish that I would consider again. Or another Oscar... but likely not a Bumblebee since Rapp's has none at this point.

Have you considered contacting Rapps to see if he has encountered this disease before? Maybe it is something genetic with his stock? (though nothing like this has happened with Darth Vader so far).

ETA: in the event you put chunk down, you might consider a tank of Cryptoheros, they are pretty awesome so far.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.136 seconds