Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

• noodle
  • noodle's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4

noodle created the topic: Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

Some of you may remember I had an issue with my Endler's livebearers having bent spines. Along with that I started to see fish wasting away, then I began to have large die offs. I have had this colony of fish for a few years an have never had any issues. I always lost a few older fish but they were quickly replaced with fry. I think it may have been fish tuberculosis.

At the start I was worried so I removed every sick looking fish as soon as I saw it, but the number of deaths increased. Fry stopped being born and the few that were born would die within the first day or two. I increased the number of water changes but the deaths continued. I increased the amount of water changed and included some plants to reduce nitrates between the daily water changes, the deaths slowed a little but they continued. I bought and used every medication the pet store has but it made no real difference, the numbers were dropping every day. I could not help them. I had a few bristlenose catfish of different ages in that tank and they all died. I went from several hundred Endler fish to perhaps 2 dozen, all of which looked ill and thin. Yesterday, begrudgingly I killed all the remaining beautiful fish and emptied the tank. :dry: I am sorry that I could not protect them or save them from this horrible end.

I am planning on selling the tank due to space issues but would like to use the heater, filter etc. How long do they need to stay dry before they are safe to use? I also have some lucky bamboo that had its roots in the tank, it will need to stay in water and will not be dry, how long before you think it would be safe to put this in another tank?

If I am wrong about the fish TB and it was some other dreadful internal parasite, lets assume the worst case scenario here, how long before it would be safe to use the filter and lucky bamboo again? I would hate to introduce this curse into another tank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

i am not sure about the curse and TB as the cause of fish death....
can you brief us how do you maintain your fish tank....
1) tank size,
2) capacity and type of filter;
3) what filter media;
4) type and umber of fish;
5) manner of cleaning the tank and filter..

as to the life beneficial bacteria, 4 hours on dry space without water
can compromise their status...

• noodle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

noodle replied the topic: Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

Hi Draco, I will try to answer your questions. Hopefully you can help shed some light on this for me.

1) tank size just under 133 liters (35 US gallons I think?)
2) HOB filter turnover meant to be 240 liter per hour from memory (it was very old, this was originally a turtle tank)
3) Filer media is a sponge
4) 3 bristlenose catfish ranging from 6 months to 12 months old and a large swarm of Endler's libearers. They regulated their number, it reached a certain number early on and did not increase or decrease at all until the end. I did cull any I did not like the look of occasionally but the number would bounce back up pretty fast
5) I was siphoning out 30% water twice a week with a hose and replacing it with tank water, this was for the first two or so years. Towards the end I was siphoning out 30% to 50% each day. I never cleaned the tank as the bristlenose took care of any algae. I also had a few different plants with submerged roots or floating in a pot of aquarium gravel.

My kids would love to get some more fish, but I don't want to get any until I am sure they will not die from whatever it is that killed these ones.

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

i never had serious experience in keeping endlers... at some point, i just keep them for a month or two until my big fish consume them all and i had to get another batch... but i had shied away feeding live fish...

i am not sure but endlers need shallow grassy water with good aeration... that is how i see them in the swamps.... thus i just think you need to simulate the running water in the tank... do your return create agitation in the tank?

• noodle
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Fresh Boarder

noodle replied the topic: Fish tuberculosis exclusion period?

The return caused good agitation, that is where all of the aeration came from. This summer was mild, but the previous two saw them reaching close to lethally high temperatures for weeks at a time. Strangely I never lost any over the past 2 summers even with it being so hot for so long.

I am sad to lose them, they were great little fish. I had some at work last year and did a mini aquaponics type thing. Grew some herbs, topped up the water, fed the fish, they bred like mad.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.107 seconds