5 gallon tank

• turtle lover
  • turtle lover's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

turtle lover created the topic: 5 gallon tank

I am helping a friend and she has a limit of 5 gallons. What fishes can fit a 5 gallon tank or fish rather?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

Funnily enough I just bought myself a 6 gallon aquarium a year or so ago, I can't remember the name of it, but it's one of those complete setups, lighting, filtration all built-in. It's very nice looking aquarium. As of yet, I've not got around to setting It up, but I have been thinking about what kind of fish to put in it. Obviously you're only talking a small amount of fish. How about a small group of tetras? You could have one betta, or go to your fish store and get yourself a group of extremely small community fish, like tetras for instance. But it's important that you forget about getting any fish that get big, these small tanks are just not capable of maintaining any fish that produce a lot of bio waste. My idea was to make the tank look really nice, some nice white substrate, maybe a couple of small Rocks, maybe a piece of wood. This way, you could have just a few fish to enhance the look of the aquarium. I did think about plants, but the amount of lighting would have to be increased to make sure the plants stayed healthy.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

turtle lover replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

OFL wrote: Funnily enough I just bought myself a 6 gallon aquarium a year or so ago, I can't remember the name of it, but it's one of those complete setups, lighting, filtration all built-in. It's very nice looking aquarium. As of yet, I've not got around to setting It up, but I have been thinking about what kind of fish to put in it. Obviously you're only talking a small amount of fish. How about a small group of tetras? You could have one betta, or go to your fish store and get yourself a group of extremely small community fish, like tetras for instance. But it's important that you forget about getting any fish that get big, these small tanks are just not capable of maintaining any fish that produce a lot of bio waste. My idea was to make the tank look really nice, some nice white substrate, maybe a couple of small Rocks, maybe a piece of wood. This way, you could have just a few fish to enhance the look of the aquarium. I did think about plants, but the amount of lighting would have to be increased to make sure the plants stayed healthy.

so the main attraction is the design rather than the fish.

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

How bout filtration?

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

Yes, 5 gallons is going to hold hardly anything, so my idea is to make it look really nice, and then have just a few fish, maybe six or seven very small community fish just to give it a bit of movement.

Because I didn't want a very large tank, I didn't really want to have to start buying internal filtration which would take up quite a lot of space So I went for a tank that has everything built in. If you have got to buy a filter for your 5 gallon tank then You really don't want anything too powerful, it just is not necessary. My tank has got a very small filter that probably contains about 15 or 20 of those biological ceramic rings, but that is all that is needed for six or seven small community fish

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 253

DRACO replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

in one of the petshop near my place, i had seen a tank that size with plants and some rocks... what call my attention was the moving design, a waterfalls inside a water tank.... after some scrutiny, i see that the moving water fall is actually a moving white sand operated by an air bubbles..

if you got interest, i can post a short footage of it...

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

DRACO wrote: in one of the petshop near my place, i had seen a tank that size with plants and some rocks... what call my attention was the moving design, a waterfalls inside a water tank.... after some scrutiny, i see that the moving water fall is actually a moving white sand operated by an air bubbles..

if you got interest, i can post a short footage of it...

Actually I am. Thank you! What are the fishes inside?

• turtle lover
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Could a Trichogaster lalius fit in a 5 gallon tank?

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

get some cute little puffer fish ?

Haku, I knew your were good.

• benmcfadden
  • Loose Lips Sink Ships
  • Thank you received: 877

benmcfadden replied the topic: 5 gallon tank

Haku, I knew your were good.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.113 seconds