Cherry Shrimp as a snack

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom created the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

Hey everybody. 2 months ago I set up a 20 gallon cherry shrimp. I initially bought 10 and other than a couple unexplained deaths my shrimp population has exploded and seems to grow weekly lol. Shrimplets everywhere. I had originally planned to keep the shrimp as an occasional treat for my oscar, once the shrimp population was large enough. At the time I wasn't even thinking that they might contain thiaminase, but they actually do contain a fair amount which is really bad for fish if used as a constant food source. My question is: can I still use some as an occasional treat? Say, once a month?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

It's the tiger shrimp (Penaeus genus) that you worry about. RCS ( Neocaridina heteropoda) should be fine for once a month consumption.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

Rocksor wrote: It's the tiger shrimp (Penaeus genus) that you worry about. RCS ( Neocaridina heteropoda) should be fine for once a month consumption.

I've actually been doing some research on this today. I'm going to add a small article to the website talking about avoiding certain foods that may contain thiaminase. From my understanding the list is fairly small, muscles, some of the feeder fish, i.e. goldfish and minnows, and I believe some species of prawn, I think you mentioned tiger prawn yourself. If you would like to add a little bit of information about what foods you wouldn't recommend then I can add them to the list when I update it tomorrow.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

www.wetwebmedia.com/ca/volume_6/volume_6_1/thiaminase.htm

Thiaminase call also be removed through cooking.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

The biggest problem with cooking foods is that the cooking process does tend to suppress the benefit you get from the vitamins. That's why it's better to eat raw vegetables rather than boiling the hell out of them. Also, I can never understand why people cook food and give it to their fish, it's not as if they are going to come across a cooked prawn or shrimp in the wild.

I'm not sure what species of shrimp and fish stores stock in frozen form. I fed those to my Oscars over quite a long period of years another encountered many noticeable problems. But then again I only ever fed them to my fish once or twice a week. Thankfully we are only talking about a very small number of products that could be a problem so I think it's probably best to point them out and let people make their own mind up.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Phantom

• Phantom
  • Phantom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

Phantom replied the topic: Cherry Shrimp as a snack

Thanks for the info guys. I'll keep it to a once a month snack and not worry. That may be a few months down the road. Want to wait until my oscar is a bit bigger before I add these to his diet. Looking forward to it though. He'll go nuts lol.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.111 seconds