Does anybody here keep bettas

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 415

OFL created the topic: Does anybody here keep bettas

Just wondering if anybody These fish. Just been doing a bit of reading on a Web page and it was saying that you don't need a filter because they breathe oxygen from the surface. I have a 20 gallon tank here. Was thinking about having a couple of these fish. Problem is, I don't think you would see the fish if they are at the surface all the time. I would imagine that most people keep them in aquariums that don't have a lid, at least you can see them then. Any information would be helpful.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

Yup, I've kept several previosly. Males are extremely aggressive and will kill another male no matter how big the tank. Will probably kill any other fish with long trailing fins. Females are very subtle though, won't kill each other. Some people say you can keep a female with a male, and they'll be fine, but some others said that the two would kill each other- i heard that on a betta forum.

They like plants, but it's not really a requirement. I think you would need a filter, they're dirty like any other fish- but the do breathe air so no nice filter or aerator is required.

They're very cool looking, and there's a lot of varieties. Pretty easy to keep if you follow the basic rules. They like a ph of 6.7-8.0

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

I would imagine that it will be good idea to have a certain type of aquarium when keeping these fish, after all I would imagine there will be at the surface quite a lot, you want to be able to see them.

• MNeilssen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Keeping fish all my life. 5 years with Oscars.
  • Thank you received: 0

MNeilssen replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

Bettas have an organ that allows them to breath air under conditions of poor water quality. Their natural habit that is rice patty type water that can dry into small dirty puddles in the dry season. That Labyrinth organ (I may have butchered that spelling) keeps them alive. You can keep a betta in a community tank and it would be just fine. It would spend most of it's time at the surface though. Don't mix bettas with fin nipppers. Barbs, guppies, and danios hate bettas. Most people keep bettas in bowls. That's probably the best way to have one. Nice stagnant water with a glassy calm surface. Of course you should be changing the water frequently. But that won't be a problem since you've got hundreds of gallons of prestine aquarium water there. Just don't let your place get too cold. Bettas aren't all that active under 65 degrees F. And they are basically dead if they get close to 50 degrees. Don't fill the bowls all the way to the top either. Bettas will get out if it's easy enough. They don't realize that they'll never find a mate on your countertop. I kept a betta in a community tank when I was a kid and "babysat" both of my sister's for the two years she was away at school. They aren't too bad. I'll say that in bowls it's tricky not to overfeed them because they don't eat much at all. And in aquariums they will get kicked around by the currents. For being called a "Fighting Fish" they aren't all that tough at all.

Oh yeah, and if you're going to go the bowl route, get two males. (in seperate bowls of course) Then at least you can occasionally let them see each other. When this happens they will both jump straight into their fighting stances. This display is very impressive indeed. The two fish that my sis and I kept in bowls lived for nearly five years. So don't look at the bowls as totally inhumane like some folks do. That is actually a lot closer to their natural habitat than a tank.

Keeping fish is only as hard as you choose to make it.

dinger454 replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

I keep and breed bettas at the moment and have doen on and off for years. I have even made a dvd all about breeding thses fantastic little fish. It is true that you can only keep one male as males will fight on sight, in fact in Thailand betta fighting is a national sport with money being bet on who will win the fight. Thewy can be kept in smaller tanks than other fish but this does not mean that they can be left without changing the water. They do have an auxilliary organ for taking air form the surface instead of extracting oxygen form the water through their gills like other fish. They have evolved this organ so that they can survive in the conditions which they are found which is small pools of water that are low in oxygen. that said they are a fantastic little fish and most people that get into bettas get betta fever and have to have lots of tanks to keep them. they are fascinating to breed and the colour and finnage forms that we have now are fantastic. There are halfmoons,crowntails,doubletails, deltas and they can be in lots of different colours: blues reds, greens, yellows, blacks to name but a few. I do have my own website all about bettas and im sure that OFL wont mind me giving it out Its www.bettasplendens.co.uk there are a couple of uk forums for bettas and there are some really good international ones. There is also an international body that judges bettas called the IBC. but be warned they can take over your life if your not careful. Much like Oscars i suppose.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

so just 1 betta by itself? I've got a 20g jewel aquarium here. any good?

Yes you can put a single betta in a 20 gallon tank but i would put some other fish in with him. So long as they are not fin nippers he will be ok some tetras and perhaps some corydoras catfish. Check out www.kgbettas.co.uk hes got some stunners coming soon from Thailand.He is on holiday at the moment but he will send them local fish shops tend just to have the boring red and blue bettas. In the far east the males are all grown on in jars and they get 100% water changes every day to grow them on really quick. because i breed them myself i grow the males on in 2ltr pop bottles just cut the top off. You could have several males by setting up your 20 gallon and keeping the males in 3 litre coke bottles in the tank. Get you bottle and melt some small holes in the sides all around the bottle, i use a fork heated up on the gas(dont use it to eat afterwards tho)Place about 1 inch of gravel in the bottom and then fill your tank up. If you have say 10 bottles in the tank you could have 10 males and the water would circulate through the holes in the bottle. you could have a small internal filter to filter the water and push the current around to keep the water in the bottles fresh. Check out one of my spawning clips on youtube at

also check out www.bettatalk.com Faith is totally outrageous and one of the worlds leading authorities on bettas shes even been on the tele. There is also the uk betta forum for great advice form other betta fanatics

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

Have you got any photos of the perfect tank setup? That website had loads of photos of fish, but none of the actual tank. I think my 20 gallon tank would be perfect for a betta and maybe two or three other fish. I'm thinking that if I only have two or three fish, including the betta, the water conditions will not deteriorate too quickly.

And how much can you expect to pay for a good quality one

Because my set ups are breeding ones they will be different so i dont have pics of set ups if you go to the uk betta forum im sure you will find some to give you some ideas.

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

How about ultimate bettas? That's a pretty nice forum about these fish.

Previously, I've kept my bettas in large(five gallon) bowls, and sometimes in 10 gallon community tanks. Some people say that you can keep them in small confines(like bowl) because they live in shallow water in the wild. True, but these rice feilds are massive, and hold thousands of gallons in which the bettas move freely. Also, bettas dislike tall tanks-not so sure why though. Dinger545's idea of liter bottles in a tank sounds interesting. I'm sure they'd flare a lot. There's nothing more impressive in the community fish hobby than to see a flame crowntail betta flare.

There are actually three described species of betta, one of which i beleive is rarely kept in the hobby. The most usually found at the pet shop or your breeder is betta splendens. I've kept several varieties of betta splendens including the crowntail, and the veiltail.

Also note that many(not all) but many of the bettas purchased at a pet shop are adults and will only live 2-4 years. Babies and young specimens can be aquired from breeders and should live much longer if kept properly.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.114 seconds