Does anybody here keep bettas

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

So what would be a typical tank for someone who keeps these fish? Do The real diehard enthusiasts keep just bettas in a small tank, or would they keep them in larger tanks with other fish?

Some of these biorb tanks look perfect if we just wanted to one fish. I've seen some that are 30 L going up to around 60 L.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 0

dinger454 replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

Actually there are quite a lot more batta species that are available in the hobby now but some of them are quite rare. For a female betta pet stores will normally ask for around £2 and a male £4-5. For a female from a breeder it will be £4-6 depending on what colours and what finnage for a male between £6-12 depending on what colour or tail form. you will pay a premium for halfmoons. tank mates for bettas would be as i said before small tetras and corydoras set up would be a gravel bottom (clear if you intend to breed) decor as you like perhaps with some plants they especially like floating plants. They dont always spend their time at the top of the water but they do need to go to the surface every now and then. Filtration should be slow moving Bettas are not suited to fast moving water check out the filers that i use in some of my tanks at
this is a video i made to show how to make them. If you want some real quality ones check this page www.kgbettas.co.uk/comingsoon.htm
get these and they will do what the song on the page says. kev is a top bloke ive bought form him myself even drove to stoke on Trent from Portsmouth to pick them up heres one of my recent additions
Attachments:

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

dinger454 wrote:

Actually there are quite a lot more batta species that are available in the hobby now but some of them are quite rare.

Hmmm. I didn't know that.

I watched that filter video you made, It's pretty cool, i think I'll have to try one.

If you add tetras, be careful what species, as some like to nip fins.

• Thank you received: 37

delboybully replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

I know these fish as siamese fighters. I kept one in a community tank a few years ago. I used to get a mirror and show it to the betta and when he caught sight of his reflection he used to go mad and get his fighting pose. Good fun

I can't get no sleep

What a coincidence i was watching some tv on the internet about an hour ago on a site www.tv-links.co.uk and myself and my kids were sat down watching a program about animals that have wierd ways of breeding. Up comes the siamese fighter (betta splendens) and they had some great footage of them spawning etc.As for the size of the tank they can be kept in anything from 5 gallons upwards. Some people buy 4 foot tanks and the use tank dividers to make smaller sections so that they can have males. Im guessing that a 20 gallon tank would be a 3 footer which could be divided into six sections for six males. You could have a little coke bottle filter in each one with a small pump powering them or a small sponge filter like in the little diagram that i just did in paint below..
Attachments:

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

I really only want one, I'm not going to breed them. I was thinking of maybe getting one of those 30L biorb. They have got everything built in, lights heating and a filter. I think one of those would look rather nice sitting on the sideboard.

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Yeh that would do fine but i gaurantee that there are so many superb colours that you wont be able to stop at one. Breeders use set ups called betta barracks. A central tank housing the filter system is used as a sump and water is pumped up through pipework to drip feed a row of plastic tanks that sit in pvc guttering. Each tank is drilled an inch form the top so that the water drips out of the hole into the guttering where it is fed to another row below. Some barracks are built to house 200 males. see the diagram below.
Attachments:

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

Holy Crap that's crazy. And i thought I had a lot of bettas:lol:(I guess eight bettas isn't enough-and those were all males)

chanceenfate replied the topic: Re:Does anybody here keep bettas

You can keep 2 or more male bettas in a single tank as long as it is large enough for the bettas to claim their territories. They are territorial and they only fight for dominance. Males are beligerent by nature but confrontations are short, usually the inferior leaves. I have 2 male bettas before both living in a 60gal tank and they took each ends of the tank :laugh:

For females, they can be kept with other females except for some with agressive behavior and bully the others. Some males also don't fight if being kept together from hatching. I've been breeding betttas before and they are very easy to keep. In contrast with the other forums that say bettas are messy, they are quite clean and don't need any filter but still regular water change is not bad.

\"Winning is second only to the love of the game itself.\"

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds