List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

• OFL
  • OFL's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL
  • Thank you received: 414

OFL created the topic: List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

Some countries have restrictions on the type of fish that can be imported and owned by private collectors. I have linked to another website rather than duplicating any content, there is rather a lot

www.fishforum.com/freshwater-tropical-fish/list-restricted-species-usa-canada-uk-2340/

I may not always be right, but I am always the BOSS :-)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 24

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

I was thinking of going for a goliath african tiger fish or some snakehead for my big tank.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

OFL replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

I watched a program on discovery only a couple of days ago called fishzilla. Basically, it was all about the Northern Snakehead and how it had got into North America. They were being imported as food and this Asian chap released one into the wild as part of his religion not knowing the damage it would reap. These fish are absolutely vicious, there is no way you could keep them with other fish unless you want carnage on your hands. I know they are banned in some states, not sure if this applies to the whole of North America though.

They can live out of water for quite a few hours and can actually travel between Waters overland , rather like the Claris catfish, also known as the walking catfish.

• Thank you received: 10

BentBarrel replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

Great info thanks boss :)

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

johnnyphoenix replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

Snakeheads are amazing...they really do destroy whole habitats...They've gotten into the Potomac river and they're causing havoc. And yeah, if they need to cross a dry area of land to get to another water supply they will go right ahead. I think they're VERY illegal to keep in captivity in the States nowadays

• markybruv
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

markybruv replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

I have 2 dwarf Channa with a dempsey, an oscar and a fire eel and they get on like a house on fire, a friend of mine keeps large Channa argus in a swimming pool with silver dollars, catfish and other sundry fish and he aint had a problem.
The program you are talking about was very good, but totally over the top.

Snakeheads have got a bad name due to poor journalism, don't believe everything you hear about Channa.

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

markybruv wrote:

I have 2 dwarf Channa with a dempsey, an oscar and a fire eel and they get on like a house on fire, a friend of mine keeps large Channa argus in a swimming pool with silver dollars, catfish and other sundry fish and he aint had a problem.
The program you are talking about was very good, but totally over the top.

Snakeheads have got a bad name due to poor journalism, don't believe everything you hear about Channa.

I don't think journalism has got much to do with the Snakeheads reputation. Going by the program I watched the other day on Nat Geo, they are truly vicious fish that will cause serious environmental harm to any habitat that it doesn't belong in.

• markybruv
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

markybruv replied the topic: Re:List of Restricted Species in Various Countries

One of the tabloids in this country, (the sun, if i remember) ran a story on a fisherman catching a 'snakehead fish'. the resultant report was a load of shit. People in England that read this shitty paper probably thought that the story held some credence.
So while you might think journalism doesn't have much to do with it, let's face it, it was a crap tabloid, it does, i don't want to rant, but i am sick of all the bullshit said about Channa. i don't live in the USA, and i daresay that they are doing quite a lot of damage in the environment.
But when i'm denied buying Channa by some f!"£$%g moron who thinks i'm gonna release it into the environment (maidenhead aquatics), i, understandably get angry.
Especially when they think they know what they're talking about.

thesnakeheadforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=403

• OFL
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Founder of OFL

One reason why I don't read The Sun, it's a crappy newspaper that is basically aimed at people who aren't really that interested in what's going on in the world, rather just something to read in that dinner break.

I'm quite sure that you wouldn't release a snake head into a local pond, but you can bet your bottom dollar some people would get enjoyment out of doing it, and since they can live in very cold weather, people would put them in their ponds where they would escape eventually. You only have to look at Florida, they have a very healthy population of Oscars, they aren't native to the USA so probably originated from someone's tank.

Take the gray squirrel, or the American signal crayfish for instance. Both have been introduced in recent times and look what has happened? They have virtually wiped out their European counterparts. Can you imagine what would happen if the snake had got into British waters? The pike is top predator, but I would say absolutely no match for a snake head.

I watch Nat Geo on a regular basis and they are very good source for reliable information in my opinion. Look out for the program, it was called "Fishzilla"

• johnnyphoenix
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

This is very true. Careless owners are responsible for Snakehead issues. Not shoddy journalism. Much the same as Pittbulls, and the Python explosion in Southern Florida swamplands.

It is illegal to keep snakeheads as pets in all states of the USA and other countries as they have become an invasive species due to irresponsible owners releasing them into the wild when they could/would no longer take care of them.

From 2002 to 2003, one Los Angeles supermarket was found to have sold approximately 25,000 dollars worth of illegal live Snakeheads which caused breakouts in local ecosystems.

Genetic tests show northern snakehead fish found last year in the Potomac River are not related to those found in other waters in the region, suggesting that the alien fish that can move short distances across land has not spread on its own.
biologists believe the fish are sometimes dumped into waterways when they outgrow their tanks or are no longer wanted.

In the Crofton case, a man admitted to dropping two into the small pond after buying them in a New York market. More than 1,000 were found, and the DNR eventually poisoned the water to kill them all.

As we all know releasing such an invasive species into an environment unused to them can decimate the local fish population and cause massive damage. They are very hardy, can adapt to almost any environment, breed very quickly, are very aggressive, and are superb hunters.Hell, can't blame them for being such a successful species.

--A Northern Snakehead reaches sexual maturity by age 2 or 3. Each spawning-age female can release up to 15,000 eggs at once. Snakeheads can mate as often as five times a year. This means in just two years, a single female can release up to 150,000 eggs . . .
--Snakeheads can breathe air unlike other fish as they use a primitive lung above their gills... [or] 'air chambers.'
--Out of the water Snakeheads rhythmically move their fins and muscular bodies back and forth: the fish equivalent of walking . . . It's a resourceful adaptation. --In their native Asia they must survive both wet and dry weather cycles like monsoons and droughts.

I found this interesting:

--Adult Snakeheads force their prey to breathe air by pushing them to the surface.

So Essentially:
--'They can't be reasoned with...can't be bargained with...they don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear, and they absolutely WILL not stop, until you are dead.'
lol

But still, I just do NOT understand how or why someone can purchase that type of fish and not understand or respect it.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.154 seconds