Arowana

• timskie
  • timskie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

timskie created the topic: Arowana

Been thinking of keeping one of these,any advice?

Tank sise,food,adult sise?Should i get the asian or australian?

Thank you:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Verse34K
  • Gold Boarder
  • Gold Boarder
  • ?????????????
  • Thank you received: 2

Verse34K replied the topic: Re:Arowana

Depends on what species. There aren't just two, there are five, and one close relative.

Osteoglossum Bichirrsum-The silver arowana- cheapest aro species, gets 40'' needs a 200 gallon minimum tank size(i recommend larger) From SA.

Scleropages Jardini- the jar. Generally more expenseive then silver, and extremely aggressive. needs 180 gallons + as it gets more than 2 feet. from australia.

Scleropages Formosis- The asian aro. A smaller species of aro (up to two feet) but is illegal in the US and extremely expensive(some specimens over 10k!!! From Asia.

Osteoglossum Ferraira- The black aro. Gets 40'' and needs a 200 gallon tank or bigger. From SA.

Scleropages Leichardti- The aussie aro. Gets fairly large, and somewhat expensive. 180 gallons +.

Herotis Notoclis- The african aro. Technicaly not an arowana species, but called one because the are similar and closely related. Very hard to keep and are filter feeders.

I don't think i spelled the scientific names right, so if your googling for more info, i would recomned you search by the common name:laugh:

• timskie
  • timskie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Senior Boarder
  • Senior Boarder

timskie replied the topic: Re:Arowana

Thanks very much for the info thats why i come to this site.I will be doing some research bout them but you helped alot ino where to start now.Thanks artemis1

Vbaby replied the topic: Re:Arowana

arowanas is pretty cool ive got a little silver arowana and ill tell u that they r vey strong fish mine got attacked by my 7 oscars and lost alot of meat,fins,scales and he is almost fully recovered within 2weeks.

silver/black aro needs a tank that is a minimum 0f 75cm from front to back to ensure they can turn around whilst swimming.

most arowanas die due to jumping out of the tank as they can jump up to 2meters out of the water so a heavy lid is needed too

DONT BUY ON IMPULSE DO SUM HOMEWORK FIRST

• MNeilssen
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Keeping fish all my life. 5 years with Oscars.

MNeilssen replied the topic: Re:Arowana

I guess I'm a little late in replying to this. I loved my Aro. I'll tell you this though. It isn't just about having a big enough aquarium. It's about head room. These fish gulp and surface foods furiously. Their heads tend to leave the water a lot more than most fish which results in them scraping the heck out of their snouts. Leave 6 inches of head room at least.

Arowanas swim a lot in the home aquarium. They are big so the longer the tank the better. Personally I think these fish are claustrophobic in a way. All the Aro's I've seen in large public tanks are very docile.

Arowana's eat everything. No joke. They love fish. Even dean ones.

They easily develop pits and holes in their heads and jaws. I don't know if they are fatal, however they never seemed to effect mine. They are also very prone to being bullied. Despite the killer instinct the display at feeded. Mine always ran away rather than fight.

Keeping fish is only as hard as you choose to make it.

Sunks replied the topic: Re:Arowana

Thou the Asians are illegal... They are one of the most beautiful fish there are.

Hi.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.121 seconds