Fluval FX5 canister filter

• marcus
  • marcus's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 0

marcus created the topic: Fluval FX5 canister filter

I have had a FX5 now for 3yrs.I rate this pump very highly,and have bought a second a yrago as a backup incase my main pump fails. Its a big pump and needs a fair amount of room under your tank. 22"x15"20"cupboard space needed to house the pump. rated for tanks upto 400Gallon with a pump flow rate of 3500L ouput.head height 10.8ft, 240V, 48Watt. circulation is 607gph. comes with foam media, all you will need to add is your bio media,carbon or polishing pads. you get a 3 stack tray each with a foam media in place. you place your bio media into these trays each measureing 6"x4" all hose and fittings come with the filter.this includes hose taps that allow you to close off the flow into and out of the filter,to aid removing to clean. A small tap at the base allows drainage.A spare tap is for connecting a 3rd hose to aid in tank cleaning(pump straight from your tank to drain) but I never bother as the risk of tank drainage is to high. A very well made pump with a brain that stops the pump for 2 mins every 24 hrs to allow for any air to be removed. if you have a old 404 the media is the same size. cost in the uk is as little as £116. on ebay! this is a great price and is cheaper than the shop price that can be around 200 quid. I run mine on a 150gallon tank and water always looks great. the only other thing you may want to consider is that if you run just 1 pump and it fails you can loose your cycle. 2 small pumps rated to the same output maybe your best option.:unsure:
i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn198/luckyleech_photos/DSCN3719.jpg

Be the change that you want to see in the world.
Mohandas Gandhi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

ricky1987 replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

i nearly bought one but felt it was just a little to much for my 55g tank lol so bought the 405:)

nice review:)

what does not kill me makes me stronger

• marcus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

marcus replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

405 is still a cracking filter.

Mohandas Gandhi

O Tell Me replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

Off topic ... but "Cracking" means good. Right?
:blush:

Still ... Great Review.

Heres my Ten cents my Two cents are free

yeah it does:)

• Thank you received: 1

nelly replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

yes i brought mine about a year and a half, from ebay 116pounds:P
its a brilliant filter, maintaining it is so simple, when it does the 24hour perdge turn off, at first it freaks you out, forgeting it turns off,,,,you think arghhh my filters broke,,,,hehe......
I love this little baby, but i did have to cut a hole in the cuboard underneath as didnt realise it stood so high:ohmy:
:laugh:

150us gallon tank....2 tiger oscars,3 redtail tinfoil barbs,2 silver sharks,1 senegal birchir,1 gibbicep,1 common plec,1 hoplo catfish,

2.5ft breeding tank, pair of bristlenose plecs,100s of fry

solo manganeuse tank<PURE EVIL>getting a new tank..
84 us gallons, special made

• marcus
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder

marcus replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

even now when it cuts out for 2mins I sometimes notice and turn to see if it comes back on. always seems to work. your right on saying its a high pump and I myself didnt take into account the taps once fitted to top. This is why I gave a cupboard size needed and not a pump size,to make life easy for anyone thinking of buying one.I was lucky it fitted:laugh: its not a nosie pump though just incase anyone is woundering but if you do have air in system sometimes it bubbles. this can be sorted by better placement of any air stone you have and runing pump inlet/outlet pipes straight with no kinks.:lol:

Mohandas Gandhi

it turns it self off?

• Thank you received: 1

nelly replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

yes its got a smart computer chip.....which turns off daily and purdges the system for 1minute releasing any air blocks,,,it self set ups etc etc,,,brilliant machine,,it comes with sponge media. but rest you provide yourself, i use sponge and pond filter bio media<cheap and effective

150us gallon tank....2 tiger oscars,3 redtail tinfoil barbs,2 silver sharks,1 senegal birchir,1 gibbicep,1 common plec,1 hoplo catfish,

2.5ft breeding tank, pair of bristlenose plecs,100s of fry

solo manganeuse tank<PURE EVIL>getting a new tank..
84 us gallons, special made

• Necromancer4
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Parachromis...accept no substitute
  • Thank you received: 78

Necromancer4 replied the topic: Re:Fluval FX5 canister filter

i recently bought a fx5 off ebay (total including shipping was only $300cdn) for my new tank and i have to agree with whats been posted. setup was very easy and all piping hoses and clamp are included with the unit. since i was able to use the biological media from my old filter all i had to purchase seperately was the polishing pads. the smart technology used by fluval is a nice addition to a very quiet filter. this is a product i would recommend to anyone needing a filter for a 150 gallon or larger tank(and not wanting to break the bank). now all thats left is to wait and see if it passes the test of time and the durablability needed for keeping large cichlids.

Warning..I will offend you at some point!!!

my goal is simple a complete understanding of the universe, why it is as it is and why it exists at all

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds