Fluval 406

• fakk2
  • fakk2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

fakk2 created the topic: Fluval 406

this is my first review... bear with me on the typing lol

just got a new fluval 406 canister filter to replace my 305 after running it for a week figured id write some of my thoughts on it for the forums...

1. the unboxing...nothing to say here packed very well noticed a few new colors on the aquastop valve and the inlet/outlet tubes intake strainer etc...

2. setup... most of the setup was the same on this filter as the 5 series with a few variances, first thing i noticed that was different from my 5 series filter was in the media/media basket department,one of the media baskets was full of finer egg crate foam for smaller particles left over from the more coarse foam on the side
possibly providing a little bit better mechanical filtration before hitting the biological and chemical stages. and also some polishing pads in the top basket for a little extra filtration before hitting the last chemical stage before returning to the tank...now the one thing that got me was the order of the baskets in this filter is basically reversed from my 305...in my 305 i ran the bio media on the top and the chemical media on the bottom as directed in the manual for the 305...the 406 however is set up with the bio media on the bottom and chemical up top as directed in the 406 manual so this is the way i set it up of course...all media was included foam pads polishing pads,4 bags of carbon and a rather small bag of biomedia i had to add more biomedia to fill the tray which was no big deal...rest of setup was all the same,installing the o ring for the pump canister connection and the impeller cover which was a little different looking i guess to possibly reduce noise.. and only snapped down on one side...hoses and hose clamps were all the same and went on the tank the same...the canister was taller than my 305 as it should be for having an extra media basket so i had to raise my tank up an extra 4 inches or so to compensate so if you are going from a 305 make sure you have extra room or prepare to make some, going from a 405 should be all good..

3.Starting and running the filter...the difference here is the prime handle seemed a little more rigid and pumped harder than the 305 with less effort filled the canister pretty quickly etc..when plugging the filter in it started just like my 305 had to pump the handle for a few minutes to help expel the air out of the system and media (before buying this filter i heard this part was going to be quicker and easier) but it wasnt, 5 minutes of cussing and pumping as usual till it finally took over and started to run...when it started running first thing i noticed was the increased flow rate (fluval stated 15% increase from 405) well they werent lying LOL this thing kicks water out hard! I have the outlet set 5 inches under the waterline and it makes quite a surface disturbance from that depth... when i put my fish in there one of them swam about 4 to 6 inches away from the outlet and it blew him into the side of the tank lol so needless to say more than adequate flow rate LOL. fluval stated that it was more quiet than the 5 series it is not anymore quiet than the 5 series it sounds just like my 305 but thats not entirely bad its quiet but is still audible no biggie

in conclusion if youre looking to buy this filter with hopes of it being a ton better than your 5 series dont lol but if youre looking to upgrade from a smaller filter or buying a first canister filter then i recommend it the extra flow rate is great but not worth justifying spending 160 dollars if your existing filter is doing its job...ive been running it for 7 days and im pleased with it but aside from the flow rate not a big difference from my 5 series filter...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bassetman
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Parachromis and Caquetaia thorichthys Addict
  • Thank you received: 182

bassetman replied the topic: Re: Fluval 406

Good review, Thank you.

Good judgement comes from experience, experience comes from bad judgement

• fakk2
  • fakk2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7

fakk2 replied the topic: Re: Fluval 406

your'e welcome...i wrote that awhile ago and never used it figured people may still be curious about it because i still havent seen it on one store shelf yet lol...been running it a month now pretty happy with it just did my first chemical and mechanical media change the priming on restart is a heck of alot easier than my old 5 series

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.116 seconds