I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

• mishka
  • mishka's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

mishka created the topic: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

Maybe is it only the Petsmart I live near.. but their feeder fish are such a sad excuse. This is the ONLY reason why I have never fed my O feeder fish, and also because I know they aren't even that great a source of food for them, AND its costly!

They have 3 tanks set up, one for the little guys, one for the medium guys, and one for the large guys, but they are only like 10 max in the large tank.

The tank with the little and medium sized guys is HIGHLY over crowded (which I know all feeder tanks are) and there are always at LEAST 10-20 dead at the bottom while the others pick at them until they are bones, they never bother to scoop the damn things out, I don't even know if they feed them.

A lot of them swim with their tail fin down obviously showing how unhealthy they are, and the colors are them are just gross.

I would feel like it would be a sin to feed my Oscar something from Petsmart because of how disgusting their feeder fish are.

Other than their feeder fish the other fish they have for sale are always healthy and have clean tanks. But why neglect the feeder fish?

My mom always use to just buy the feeder fish as a frickin pet because she felt so bad lol.

Anyone else have that problem with Petsmart?

As far as Petco goes I don't go there. It smells like ass and their reptiles are always dying.

The only petshops are for me is local ones and online. TY

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Miss Nicki
  • Visitor
  • Visitor

Miss Nicki replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

My Petsmart is the same way!!! And Petco is a nasty store I will not enter...

The whole thing is just too sad!

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

mishka replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

It really is. I already feel bad enough for the feeder fish, why make them suffer before they get eaten? So bad.

The employees who work in Petco and Petsmart.. well not ALL of them but a majority don't know much about fish or reptiles.

I have applied to Petsmart in the past, a few years ago, but I guess they want nothing to do with my knowledge of fish or reptiles!

Oh well :unsure:

• jjjohnston8623
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Variety is the Spice of life!!
  • Thank you received: 47

jjjohnston8623 replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

that's why I don't feed feeder fish :)

It is sad to see I see it all the time in walmart too... what a horible mess. if I had the money I would buy them all and throw them into a huge pond :P

mroylands replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

that,s so sad all i hate seeing any thing in destress the LFS have alot to answer for some times when i found my buddy he was in a small desply tank with around 200 other oscars they had bearly anny room to swim and when i got him home he was starving (poor little boy)

if life is dishing u lemons,find someone who is getting vodka and another with lemonaid
and have a dame good party!!

• Thank you received: 8

Sully replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

I think Walmart is the worst! Before I had oscars I used to like to walk by and see the fish... NOT ANY MORE! I can't stand to see how pitiful they look. It's so sad :( and no one is ever around. There should be stricter rules when buying/selling oscars.

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

Yeah there really should be rules with selling fish I wish I traveled around and checked to make sure that the stores were following them correctly for my job !! O well yeah I find some bad fish in lots of places it sucks .. My petco is not that bad they have some nice looking tanks for the most part def over stocked at times but they never keep anything bigger than juvenile...

I wonder where all the adults go?? ik they can't sell them all...

I know some Walmarts just kill the to big fish ...

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• jjjohnston8623
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Variety is the Spice of life!!
  • Thank you received: 47

jjjohnston8623 replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

I guess I never thought about the adults! That's sad that they would just kill the fish that get too big before selling :( :( :(

• ehall67
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Ohio Cichlid Association Chairmen
  • Thank you received: 439

ehall67 replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

yeah had a buddy that said they would either throw them out or bag them and leave them in the back and if some one asked they might bring them out for them but they were in bags not tanks it is sad for real.

I don't know if it is very where but i know they did it out here

The Confidence of Amateurs, is the Envy of Professionals

• mishka
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

mishka replied the topic: Re: I hope none of you buy feeder fish from Petsmart..

Well it really depends. I'm not sure if they do euthanize the fish or not or ship them off to other pet shops that sells bigger fish, though in the past I have bought a RTC from an animal shelter (yes they had fish tanks) it was only a little one about 4 inches but he was in a 10g for sale, my mom and I went ahead and bought him and donated him to a local fish area where he could grow to his potential growth because any fish that gets as big as a RTC deserves better than a 10g.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.117 seconds