AquaTop CF-400UV review

• ScottsTanks
  • ScottsTanks's Avatar Topic Author
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

ScottsTanks created the topic: AquaTop CF-400UV review

There are not a lot of reviews on this filter from upstart company AquaTop so I thought I'd do a little write up on here since I just bought one and so that people who are considering purchasing one can somethings to think about. These are just my opening impressions of Aquatop's CF400-UV filter. I will start by saying that if these filter does everything it says it can do at only a $100 price tag then it's going to start being a heavy contender against the Fluvals, Eheims, and Marinelands of the canister filters world.

The filter is rated for up to a 125g aquarium and produces an alleged 370gph (without media). It has good sized media basket, but media is not included to keep the price down. No problem for me as I usually always throw out the provided media and use SeaChem Matrix anyway. It does come with the all sponges and filter pads though so at least you don't need to cut out your own to start with. It also comes with a 9w UV bulb that it is the first step in the filtering process. Unfiltered water passes the UV bulb first and then travels bottom to top before returning to the aquarium.

Installation was simple enough. Pretty much the same as setting up any canister filter these days. The only bummer is that it isn't a self-priming pump and so you do need to pump it up before it will go. Mine took some considerable time and effort to get started. I can see that this is going to be a problem during water changes. The other problem that I am foreseeing is that unlike Eheims and Fluvals there are no ball valves on the tubing and so water changes are likely going to involve getting buckets under the tank and draining the hoses completely so that you don't end up with puddles of water in your stand every week. I'll let you know for sure when I do my first WC if this is a problem. There is a lever where the input and output come together on the top of the canister but I'm not sure if that actually seals of the tubes or not.

Pros as I see them so far:
1. very good price. ($100 for a 370gph canister with UV)
2. Quiet. (not as silent as my Eheim ECCO 2236 but I have to listen for the thing)
3. Spray bar included. (That's always handy)
4. Ultraviolet sterilization. (even if it isn't as good as a stand alone unit it's still worth having)
5. Good looking. (Let's face it that makes a different sometimes and the clean white look and UV light shining out the top are nice to look at)

Cons so far:
1. Have to prime pump (takes forever)
2.No included media (maybe bad for some people who don't want to go buy extras)

Here's a quick little video I did right after I got it running the other night.

After I've lived with filter for a while I will let you all know how it is fairing and what it is like on a daily basis over a longer time period.

Thanks for reading and happy fishkeeping everyone!
~Scott

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

Thanks for the write up, moved you to reviews since this seems to mostly be your opinion about the product :)

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• ScottsTanks
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ScottsTanks replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

Thanks Matt, didn't realize that there was a review forum.

• Matt
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Serrasalmus Rhombeus, any questions?
  • Thank you received: 151

Matt replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

That's why i'm here, well that and my witty personality :silly:

cebosound wrote: Waterchange, Waterchange, waterchange... till your knuckles are bleeding. ;) :lol:

My youtube page www.youtube.com/user/rwhp550?feature=mhee

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

Be sure to lubricate the rubber o-rings on the valves and the head of the filter when you open it the next time. Use 100% silicone grease or food grade silicone grease. Do not use vaseline because it will cause the rubber o-rings to expand. I would also lubricate a little bit of the sides on the last tray. The handles seem a bit flimsy and can break off.

• ScottsTanks
  • Junior Boarder
  • Junior Boarder

ScottsTanks replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

Just a quick update: The lever between the outlet and intake hoses does seal both lines and allows for easy detachment and zero spillage when performing water changes or filter maintenance.

• Thank you received: 203

Big-Ken replied the topic: Re: AquaTop CF-400UV review

Great filters I run one on my 90g. They have been around for a while search for sunsun canister filter, aquatop buys them in bulk and relabels them

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.106 seconds