• Darth Nandopsis
  • Darth Nandopsis's Avatar Topic Author
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish
  • Thank you received: 441

Darth Nandopsis created the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

Sent this to Tetra Corporate contact on their homepage:

Why & when did you discontinue making the Whisper 5? This was a GREAT filter, & very good for large tanks. Also, I just bought & returned the "quiet" Whisper 60; the impeller well made so much noise I could hear it in another room. Anything but quiet. (FYI, the noise was coming from the impeller well, sounded like it never got all the air out of it, but there was no air). I've been keeping fish for 42 years, both professionally & as a hobby, & the quality of the Tetra brand is lacking tremendously in the last few years. Google reviews of your filters & see. The "knock-offs" that are made of your filters are really better made & a higher quality in today's market. I used to be a Tetra user almost exclusively on filters, & after this, I can't say I'll use them anymore.

THOSE WHO REFUSE KNOWLEDGE ARE DOOMED TO FAIL.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

what names are the knock offs?

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Darth Nandopsis replied the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

Topfin. Used to be sold by Petsmart, exactly like the Whisper series, as a matter of fact, the cartridges that came w/ it said Whisper on them, but they are very quiet, these new ones are LOUD.

The one Walmart currently carries....Aquatech....saw one the other day, it's a whole lot like the Whispers, even has the "bio-sponge" thing that goes in front of the cartridge.

WATER CHANGES ARE THE LIFEBLOOD OF THIS HOBBY. IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE SO OR SIMPLY DON'T FEEL LIKE DOING THEM, RE-HOME YOUR FISH, SELL YOUR AQUARIUM & FIND ANOTHER HOBBY, AS YOU WILL FAIL UTTERLY, COMPLETELY, & MISERABLY.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

I have an Aquatech 30/60 that came with my latest tank purchase. Is it a good filter? I couldnt say yet, but I will say it is very quiet. Blue filter carbon filled cartridge in back and black bio sponge in front. Seems to be an ok design, except only about 3/4 of the bio sponge is submerged. Seems to have good water flow, no idea what the gph is

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Thank you received: 171

robham7770 replied the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

Darth, I have a Top Fin 75 (I think it is now the 60) that came with a 55 gal, that thing made so much noise that I replaced it. I eventually put back to use when set up my garage tanks. It still drove me crazy but I played with the impeller and components and finally got it to quiet down. It is still not the quietest filter I have, but it is tolerable. I remember my filters from the 80's being very quiet, they had a motor with a magnet, and another magnet inside the filter to turn the impeller. I think they were the Whisper brand. i also remember the diatom filter, which looked like a huge mason jar, but had some serious output.

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

My Topfin is very quiet.....I have had a bunch of Whispers over the years, & all were very quiet....these new generation ones are the ones that are noisy. Just not made the way they were. I figured, hey for $26 bucks I'll give it a shot......I sent it back the next day. Look @ a lot of reviews for it....I'm not the only one experiencing this. Shame....

• Darth Nandopsis
  • User is blocked
  • User is blocked
  • Dark Lord of the Fish

Suprd71 wrote: I have an Aquatech 30/60 that came with my latest tank purchase. Is it a good filter? I couldnt say yet, but I will say it is very quiet. Blue filter carbon filled cartridge in back and black bio sponge in front. Seems to be an ok design, except only about 3/4 of the bio sponge is submerged. Seems to have good water flow, no idea what the gph is

Good mechanical filter, & easy to maintain, although these are more like the old Penguin filters w/out the biowheel.

I am curious what Tetras response will be, if any. I think they should be concerned that their customers are looking elsewhere because their quality is deteriorating....

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Tetra 60 Powerfilter

Darth Nandopsis wrote:

Suprd71 wrote: I have an Aquatech 30/60 that came with my latest tank purchase. Is it a good filter? I couldnt say yet, but I will say it is very quiet. Blue filter carbon filled cartridge in back and black bio sponge in front. Seems to be an ok design, except only about 3/4 of the bio sponge is submerged. Seems to have good water flow, no idea what the gph is

Good mechanical filter, & easy to maintain, although these are more like the old Penguin filters w/out the biowheel
Good to know, running it on my Jag/ Gibby tank, more mechanical sure cant hurt..

I am curious what Tetras response will be, if any. I think they should be concerned that their customers are looking elsewhere because their quality is deteriorating....

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.124 seconds