Nitrate filter Deltec NFP 509

• Thank you received: 877

Rocksor replied the topic: Nitrate filter Deltec NFP 509

Kmuda used micron filtration (house filter with 20 micron filter pad) prior to the water entering the denitrator to prevent detrius build-up inside. This will allow him to maintain the anaerobic bacteria colony much longer by not servicing the filter. After the denitrator, he first used filter socks, and then he used 200 micron filter pads after the denitrator to capture the dead bacteria which was slime (Sosban referred this to white goo in his previous post). The water from the denitrator went to a sump filled with fine filter pads that needed daily changing. When he changed it daily, nitrates stayed at 0ppm. When he didn't, there would be measurable nitrate. His goal was to achieve 0ppm nitrates, which would allow him to reduce water changes to less than 50% per week rather than the 75%+ he was doing every week. He still did weekly water changes, and would never stop that despite getting 0ppm nitrates.

here's when he started building DIY denitrator (7ft tall) circa 2009

www.oscarfish.com/oscar-forum/viewtopic.php/f,5/t,81539/

More advance modification using Dr. Tim's Active Pearls plus what he did to get rid of the slime coming out of the denitrator.

www.oscarfish.com/oscar-forum/viewtopic.php/f,5/t,85602/

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Sosban Fach
  • Sosban Fach's Avatar Topic Author
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 18

Sosban Fach replied the topic: Nitrate filter Deltec NFP 509

Haven't read through those threads. They look very good when I have the time I will read them.

The NFP512 (one size up from the 509) same pump, just double the internal volume. It has a micron filter on the intake, always wandered what that was for.

Useing a micron filter seems obvious now that yon mention it. Thanks for the tip I think i'll buy one for the inflow and use polishing pads for the outflow. Hopefully this will allow me to whack up the flow and get to 0ppm.

I recently had another nitrate spike in my tap water above 40ppm. Did a water change as per normal, tested the water tank nitrates at 5ppm. So im almost there. Putting one of these filters in a sump or some other heat source is definatly advantage. I don't have a sump but the filter seems to work fine, even at a higher flow than the manufacturers recomendations.

I have some bio pearls in my fx6. When I have the funds I think I will try to add another chamber to the Nitrate filter to fit put them in, just need to figure out how to add the chamber into the re-circulation circuit. Probably remove the pump on my filter and add an extentions to the inflow and outflow pipes then put the pump on the new chamber.

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

So I did a full clean out of my nitrate filter last week. I sued tap water, which should have killed off the entire colony and i would need another month to get it running again.

Thankfully the bacterial colony didn't die and a week later its back to the max recomended operating capacity.

Anyway a few test results.

This is my tap water. Its over 40ppm possibly not far off 80ppm. Yes I know that seems insane. I checked it twice. Heres the proof. Glad were moving house later this year. Yes I know thats th saltwater card, picked up the wrong one and at that level of nitrates it makes no odds.

This means the best i can hope to get out of my RO unit is 10-20ppm.

The water test below is what comes out of the Nitrate filter.

And this is the nitrates in the tank (before a water change)

Becuase of the tap water im not currently mixing any tap water with the RO water. My current water change regime is 30% pure RO water every three days (trace elements supplements added) The nitrate filter effectivley does a 50% change every week on top of that.

Aaaand heres a pic of the fish, healthy as can be.

• Thank you received: 581

Suprd71 replied the topic: Nitrate filter Deltec NFP 509

LOVE THAT SEV!! Beautiful. A little biased because I have one!

I may not be the Boss, but I'm ALWAYS right!

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Thanks.

My wife decided on the Sev. Personally I don't think I would have ever got one. Glad I did now they make a great couple. Instead I would have had two oscars; with these nitrate issues im glad I didn't and the Sev is pretty awesome anyway.

Had the Sev not been in the shop the day I went to get my oscar we would have never picked him up.

This guy was the biggest (about 3 inch at the time) and the most aggressive in a 10-15 gal tank of about 20 severums. The others had alot of fin damege you could see him chaseing them around. I figured the stocking was making him a little more aggressive than normal, but he must be slighty aggressive to begin with. So wouldn't get bullied by the Oscar. They work well together. I think the Sev is the boss in the tank.

Ive never seen a gold spotted severum in a fish store before or since. He was sold as a Heros severum, not sure if he is. Ive seen a number of severums in stores mostly greens and ocaisionally a gold all less than an inch as well.

When I got my Sev like yours, I posted some pics and was told by a couple of id experts here that it was a Super Red. I also have a pair of Greens and a Gold, all great fish, do just fine in a community tank

• Sosban Fach
  • Expert Boarder
  • Expert Boarder

Not sure my Sev would do well in a comminuty tank. Sevs are supposed to be fairly docile unless provoced, which makes them good for that sort of thing.

This one, not so much. He attacks the oscar for no apparent reason, failry regulary, which makes him a little gutsy for a severum. The Oscar just shrugs it off and no real damege is done. Every couple of months or so the Oscar might get few small nicks in the fins from nipping.

They ocaisionally lock lips. I think the Severum wins each time.

Link to that thread with those photos please!

All fish are different, no doubt. My gold lives with adult(very big) Oscar, male JD GT and Convict. Takes no guff from any of them, unless big Butch starts bulldozing his way around the tank. My greens and red are in with a smaller female Nicaraguan, and little Nic is the boss of that tank.

Moderators: Big-KenDRACO
Time to create page: 0.092 seconds